cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing my secured discover card, will it really hurt my score?

tag
jkry
Valued Member

Re: Closing my secured discover card, will it really hurt my score?

At the bottom of the page it says apply now with these terms:  What do you think?? AGh!

All with no annual fee

)% intro APR for 14 months on purchases

Then 11.99%-23.99% Standard Variable Purchase APR applies

#% Fee for each Balance transfer

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’d say the big range means likely declined. But you never know!
Message 22 of 26
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

The full spread isn't reliable.  It either means they can't SP you for the pre-qual or your score just isn't solid enough for an approval.  I'd let it lie for now and see if you get some mailers.  Also, if your existing card isn't a year old you can't get another one until then.  

Message 23 of 26
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Really wonder if discover stretched out the time between CLIs with the secured cards (and pretty much everyone)..... Wonder if you have to wait at least 91 days after it becomes unsecured now to get a CLI... or even possibly a 6 mo cycle just like the APR reductions

I think whatever stomach bug Disco had is now flushed from their system as I spotted the fabled Disco Unicorn the other day.  I think the wait is clearing from their systems since they produced a brand new baby 2-day message for another user.

6-30-2017 11-29-08 AM.jpg

Im very well acquainted with the 2day message.. Pretty sure all but my double dip CLI seemed to give me a 2 day message... Ill take it over the instant denial....

Nice to see its appearing again..

-J

Message 24 of 26
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Not sure if you still have yours or not but I called to cancel mine today. It is no easy task.

I explained that it has been stuck at a $200 CL for 18 months now and she started trying to rectify that immediately. The poor girl gave it the old Harvard try to keep it open but in the end, the stubborn $200 CL won out. She even checked to see if she could get a manual CLI. No go. She did not understand why it would not increase. She even said I had excellent history with Disco. I finally asked her to stop trying and just close it. She said they decline it if you have anything negative in the last 2 years. I have nothing negative in the last 4 years on any report. She was at a loss but asked me to give it another 60 days. I laughed and told her 18 months had passed, 60 days won't make a difference and to just close it. She put me on hold again and tried something else that she did not explain since it was not successful. I felt like she was going to get dinged for my closing the account, I hope that was not the case. She was really nice and tried everything. 

So my Discover card is gone now. I have tons of cards with much higher limits so I won't miss it. Everyone kept saying use it and it will grow, that is not the case I think for the secured to unsecured folks, maybe it was at one time. I used it like crazy until the last  2 months making multiple payments every month. It's all about your credit profile. Higher limits may rely heavily on usage but getting out of the secured limits I am sure is all about your score. Just thought you might like to know they do try very hard to keep you. Maybe they will make you an offer if you call but don't call if you are not prepared to close it. My scores are in my Signature if you are curious. Good luck either way. I hope yours escapes the secured CLI plague soon.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 25 of 26
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I logged in today to see if it had been cencelled (Discover). Its still open and get this, I got a CLI from $200 to $600. lol. I tried for an additional one and it declined. Not surprised as they were supposed to close it. It also says there is a fraud hold on the account. I already cut them all up though. I sent them a message to make sure it was closed. No reply yet. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.