Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing open sky card ; Rep scared me

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Closing open sky card ; Rep scared me

Yes, just trying to get you to keep the card.   With the right will, anything can be negative:

1) Closed by credit grantor:   Oh, you did something they didn't like (which could minor such as lack of use all the way up to fraud and default)

2) Closed by consumer:   Oh, so you just close cards whenever you feel like it?  So if I gave you my card, you would probably close it at some point?

3) No closed cards:  "Too much available credit"

So, don't sweat what the CSR said!

Message 11 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

To my way of thinking, if a card is going to close, the best possible note would be "closed at customer's request."

Though it would be theoretically preferable to have opened all of your cards 20+ years ago and kept all the same cards, never closing or opening anything from that point ... obviously, that's not reality for most people. So if a card is going to be closed, it's going to either be the lender's choice or the customer's choice, and if it's the lender's choice, that means the customer did something "wrong" (might just be inactivity).

Any human who is looking at your file and sees that you closed an Open Sky card isn't going to think too hard about why you closed it or assume that means you close cards willy-nilly, IMO.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

A long time ago I had a secured Capital One card. By the time the annual fee came around I had two unsecured cards with higher credit limits.

I asked them to graduate the card, they said no, I cancelled the card without a minute's regret.

It is ridiculous to pay money for a few extra points on an already good credit score. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I called back and spoke with the nicest rep. Would have credited the annual fee, but I took the plunge since the fee hits tomorrow and decided to finally close it. I almost feel bad about it. My oldest card. Granted all my other cards are about 13 months younger then this ( over 4 years per ) but still...

You will be missed, and you did me well. Didn't need to get rid of you, but just felt it was time =[

Message 14 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your closure!
Message 15 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I understand how you feel. The first lender who gave me a card this time around was Citi. I felt some loyalty and affinity for Citi due to that, and kept that secured card after closing several others when I started getting unsecured cards. But after thinking about it for a few weeks, I just didn't see myself carrying a $200 secured card for another year or more once I had a number of better cards. I have a positive feeling about Citi because of that card, it just wasn't doing me any good anymore. And that card didn't even have an annual fee Smiley Happy

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.