cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing secured cards after getting better cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing secured cards after getting better cards?

I have a capital one secured($500) and wells fargo secured ($300) that won't upgrade, they are about 5 yeard old. Should I just close them since I have better cards now( Uber, DC, Discover, Venture,Amex Gold). I have about 16 accounts (revolving, store and charge cards) and want to cut some of the fluff. Will closing them affect my scores and does it look bad to have them on my file? I don't mind just leavin them but just want some opinions.

Thanks for any feedback

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Closing secured cards after getting better cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a capital one secured($500) and wells fargo secured ($300) that won't upgrade, they are about 5 yeard old. Should I just close them since I have better cards now( Uber, DC, Discover, Venture,Amex Gold). I have about 16 accounts (revolving, store and charge cards) and want to cut some of the fluff. Will closing them affect my scores and does it look bad to have them on my file? I don't mind just leavin them but just want some opinions.

Thanks for any feedback

Personally, I would close them since they can't graduate.
You will get your security deposit back, so you'll have your cash in hand.    They won't really affect your scores - you will lose their limits for utilization factoring, but at $800, it isn't much.   The closed accounts could stay on your account for up to 10 years, so you won't have any immediate or drastic effects on your AAoA.

They don't look bad on your report, but it sounds like there's no reason for you to keep them open, either.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.