Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing secured cards once unsecured are open? Guidance needed please

tag
lakelife16
New Contributor

Closing secured cards once unsecured are open? Guidance needed please

Hi everyone!

i need some advice regarding secured cards. My oldest card is a secured card with a 200 limit, perfect history for about 3.5 years. That was the first card on my report for a long time. Back in Jan/Feb, I had opened up an OpenSky card with a $250 limit. It's reported positively a couple months now. The real issue is since then, I have been approved for:

1) $2000 unsecured (reporting since Feb)

2) $1000 unsecured (reporting since Feb)

3) $6000 unsecured (not reporting yet)

4) $5000 unsecured (not reporting yet)

5) $5000 PLOC (not reporting yet)

6) $5000 unsecured (not reporting yet)

7) $4500 store card (reporting since Feb)

8) $1100 store card (reporting since Feb)

Will having these lower limit cards look bad at this point? If i would've known about the upcoming approvals, I wouldn't have opened OpenSky. My oldest card though, I believe I need to keep because it's my oldest revolving account, correct?

Will closing OpenSky help my AAoA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing secured cards once unsecured are open? Guidance needed please

The lower limit may not look bad but it looks odd compared to other cards you have, I'd close it simply because your obviously beyond needing it. Closing it will not help your AAoA because it remains on your CR for up to ten years. Opening new cards hurts your AAoA, so if you want to help it, do not open any new accounts and let your current ones age.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakelife16 wrote:

Hi everyone!

i need some advice regarding secured cards. My oldest card is a secured card with a 200 limit, perfect history for about 3.5 years. That was the first card on my report for a long time. Back in Jan/Feb, I had opened up an OpenSky card with a $250 limit. It's reported positively a couple months now. The real issue is since then, I have been approved for:

Will having these lower limit cards look bad at this point? If i would've known about the upcoming approvals, I wouldn't have opened OpenSky. My oldest card though, I believe I need to keep because it's my oldest revolving account, correct?

If you close your secured cards they will report positively for 10 years, but I would hold off on closing the cards until the others start reporting so it won't look like a drop in UTI.  Congrats on the approvals.

Message 3 of 7
lakelife16
New Contributor

Thanks very much for the replies you guys! I'm going to take your advice and close OpenSky after I receive my other cards. Appreciate your help!!!
Message 4 of 7
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I've recently closed my Secured Cards and honestly once you successfully establish good credit their job is complete, good job on all the new cards by the way!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakelife16 wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies you guys! I'm going to take your advice and close OpenSky after I receive my other cards. Appreciate your help!!!

Congrats on your cards.

Good luck with closing Open Sky.  I have been trying to close mine for a month.  I have called, sent secure messages and sent a letter to their address in their terms and conditions that addresses closing of cards.  The onlly thing they closed was my ability to log into my account immediately after I sent the secure email asking them to close the account. No charges or payments are pending. Guess they are getting a little more interest on my deposit for a while.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakelife16 wrote:

Hi everyone!

Don't worry about AAoA with regard to 'this' account' that isn't worth your concern...let's face it you've opened 8 accounts since Jan.

this one ain't gonna be the clincher Smiley Wink

The reason you KILL this sucker is b/c it's a B.S. 'builder-card' that YOU don't 'need' at this point...get your money back...you've earned 'better'...

that's why you should close it.

Will having these lower limit cards look bad at this point?

Again don't fret over the small stuff...we already went over why to shoot the OpenSky account in the back of the head.

You keep the 'old' small CL secured card due to AAoA purposes and that's ONLY b/c somebody 'should' have advised you not to WAIT so long allowing just the one

card to age...by itself

Meaning if you close it now.....you have no age, ZERO, you'd have an average age in 'days' not months b/c you've got  4 reporting 3 months at best if they've done April yet and 4 not reporting at all.

No big deal btw ( I  joke around a lot...just ribbing not taunting, read my past post..again jk)

So had you apped for a card say a year or 2 ago

a) you could kill the low CL secured card &

b) of course the limit of 'that' card would most likely have been more than $200 ( this info is to illustrate for the 'next' person what can be done instead)

again no biggie.... here's what the OP sould do IMO.....

Go keep the old secured card b/c it's your ONLY aged account sock draw it....if it has no AF, just let it roll (if it has a AF request a waiver or at least a reduced fee,

you've had it long enough that they should at least do that (assuming it's a company that won't unsecure it like Cap1 prehaps?)

Anyway...I'd hold on to it AT LEAST another year.....until these new accounts are aged at least a year themselves...I'd prefer 2

Will having these lower limit cards look bad at this point?

Freak 'vanity' allow your large CL's to age and show you can manage them....you've got THOUSANDS of dollars in CL's....so what you have, an 'odd'

ball among the mix.

The COMPUTER doesn't give a crap, that's a human being VANITY issue that this point....

Going forward it's not, again WORTH your concern....focus on managing the very nice CL's you have now and let them age....at this point, as far as unsecured debt

you should 'chill out' and 'prove' yourself worthy with what you have...the only 'real' thing that can  help your credit now is managing these acounts over TIME...and that takes TIME.

I can't see why you'd app for anything else other than a secured loan ie. car/house......

I'd be ok with using those funds from OpenSky towards getting a secured PL on your report to add to your credit mix (only if you don't have or plan on a car/mortgage reporting, soon)

other than that I wouldn't app until those accounts are at least a year old (outside of SP CLI's of course)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.