Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing some Comenity store cards

tag
schsa210
Established Contributor

Closing some Comenity store cards

How long should you keep your accounts open before closing them?  Looking to close some store cards that I feel I no longer have a need for.

~buried myself in the garden~
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing some Comenity store cards

@schsa210 wrote:

How long should you keep your accounts open before closing them?  Looking to close some store cards that I feel I no longer have a need for.

With Comenity I wouldn't worry about how long you have had the cards that you want to close.  Just close away.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Irish said, not that big of a deal but the general consensus is 1 to 2 years.  But if the accounts aren't being used, they are kind of dead weight anyway once you begin to build better cards.

Message 3 of 11
schsa210
Established Contributor

Thank you both for that info, I appreciate it.

Message 4 of 11
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

When you realize you don't want/need it.

I went on an app spree this year at the start of my rebuild. I opened NY and Company because I like their clothes. About 6 weeks in and 2 attempts at ordering online I closed it. I didn't realize there were no longer any stores in my area (I am close to 3 malls and they're no longer in any of those) and their website is horrible. Both times I ordered a handful of things, received a shipping notification and then later received a notice that an item wasn't available. And it was about 15 days from ordering to getting things in hand. So I dropped the card.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My oldest card also happens to be my only Comenity card. I have zero use for it but I am hesitant to close it. It turns 10 years old this December. I wish I could cut the string on that one but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Don't be like me. If you don't want it, close it.

Message 6 of 11
schsa210
Established Contributor

Thank you MrsCHX and sorry about all of the problems with your online orders. Ordering online seems to be more of a hassle than walking into an actual store.

Message 7 of 11
schsa210
Established Contributor

Annipoo, that is a bad situation to be in, don't wanna lose that AAOA

Message 8 of 11
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My oldest card also happens to be my only Comenity card. I have zero use for it but I am hesitant to close it. It turns 10 years old this December. I wish I could cut the string on that one but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Don't be like me. If you don't want it, close it.

Even if you close it now, the positive history remains for 10 ADDITIONAL years, which any cards you've gotten will be their age + 10 years. I wouldn't worry about it for AAoA...

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 9 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Best example I can offer having to do with Comenity store cards is the age old story about the two happyest days of a boat owner.... The day you get your boat and the day you get rid of your boat - fits Comenity store cards perfectly. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.