Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing starter cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing starter cards

Thank you everyone for the great info. I hope it helps someone else down the road also. I'll be closing the FP and keeping the QS1 with my socks for now since the annual fee isn't due for at about 8 more months. I'll see if I can get Cap1 to play ball with it then.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing starter cards

I actually went through a similar calculus on my own situation this week when I decided to go on a closing spree of my Capital One starter cards both the Quicksilver1 ($300 limit) and a secured Capital One Mastercard ($800) that I somehow thought had graduated but realized it was secured after I tried to get a CLI on it. I'd already closed a USAA Secured Visa ($2000) earlier in the week, but managed to get CLI increases for some of other cards that it'll basically end up a wash and I lowered my util heavily so I'm down to around 6% the next time things update.

For me, having the annual fee card was a non-starter and the secured card I figured it's my money and I don't need them holding onto it anymore...that the short-term potential hurt --- which likely won't be more than a few points, if any -- was worth having one less account to login to entirely. I appreciate Capital One offering me credit when no one else would back during the start of my rebuilding journey, but for me it wasn't a necessary piece of my puzzle moving forward. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.