cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing sub prime cards a good strategy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing sub prime cards a good strategy?

I'm starting to build my credit but I have limited credit history. I've got a capital one secured card, Orchard Bank visa, and Applied bank secured Visa. I only plan to use the Orchard Bank and Applied bank until I can get approved for better cards. It is a bad idea to close those accounts in about 6 months If I'm approved for better cards?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Closing sub prime cards a good strategy?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm starting to build my credit but I have limited credit history. I've got a capital one secured card, Orchard Bank visa, and Applied bank secured Visa. I only plan to use the Orchard Bank and Applied bank until I can get approved for better cards. It is a bad idea to close those accounts in about 6 months If I'm approved for better cards?

I would try to keep them for the year and close before AF hits. Get the full year of reporting!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would try to keep them for the year and close before AF hits. Get the full year of reporting!

+1

I agree with LS.

Message 3 of 10
Smug
Established Contributor

I closed my sub prime cards, 7 in all because I never used them 2 being cap 1s a HSBC discover, target and a few more , no drop in score and now I focus on higher cards. I am happy I closed them.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 4 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

It's always a good idea to close "subprime" cards the moment you no longer need them.  In most cases, waiting for a year will be better than 6 months, unless there's a massive annual fee on month 12.

Message 5 of 10
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I don't see the value in closing these before you get at least one prime card. Most scoring experts advise having 2-3 open revolving accounts. It will also help your utilization to keep all 3. Once you have had the cards for almost a year, apply for a card you want. If you get it, close the card with the highest AF. Then replace the cards one for one as you get new ones. If you get denied, especially if the reason is that you already have sufficient credit, calling and saying you are trying to replace subprime cards is a good recon strategy.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
I don't see the value in closing these before you get at least one prime card. Most scoring experts advise having 2-3 open revolving accounts. It will also help your utilization to keep all 3. Once you have had the cards for almost a year, apply for a card you want. If you get it, close the card with the highest AF. Then replace the cards one for one as you get new ones. If you get denied, especially if the reason is that you already have sufficient credit, calling and saying you are trying to replace subprime cards is a good recon strategy.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like a plan, since you wrote that you first want to get better cards.

As others wrote, hold off until right before the AF hits if you can. Make sure that they are reporting a $0 balance, and print out the screen showing that. Ask them to send a letter confirming that they were closed in good standing, and that there is no balance. (Ya never know...)

I would add one good card, then close one rebuilder, etc., one at a time. Make sure that, if you allow balances to report, your total CL remains as high or higher, so that your scores aren't affected.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing thats been going on recently is that American Express has been sending me offers. Twice so far. I'm tempted but I'm not sure I'll be approved. They're offering the Gold card so far. Is it a good idea to apply now. I already have 3 credit cards but I heard having American Express on your credit report makes it look good. Should I go for it?

Message 9 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thing thats been going on recently is that American Express has been sending me offers. Twice so far. I'm tempted but I'm not sure I'll be approved. They're offering the Gold card so far. Is it a good idea to apply now. I already have 3 credit cards but I heard having American Express on your credit report makes it look good. Should I go for it?

In general, Amex likes to see at least a year of CC history. Some here have reported getting the Amex Zync (supposedly easier to qualify for than their other CCs) with less than a year.

The "pre-approval" they send doesn't mean that you really qualify for the CC. I'd wait until you have *at least* 6 mos of history (though, I think closer to a year is better) and zero balances reporting on ALL your CCs, except allow ONE CC to report a balance of <9%. Also, make sure your EX report is clean -- no baddies and VERY few inq. Smiley Happy

BTW, there is no evidence that having an Amex on your CR makes it look good or gets you more credit. It's more of a status symbol when you're using it out at restaurants, stores, etc.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.