Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clueless Capital 1

tag
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

Clueless Capital 1

I currently have 3 capital one cards Sony card, Visa Platinum, and my most recent approval which was the MTV card, all three which are visa cards. I called capital one csr today to ask for a product change for my most recent card the MTV visa. I wanted to change that card to the Cash Rewards Mastercard that they have because I have already 3 Visas from them and wanted some variety in my line of cards. Basically the csr didnt know what to tell me. There were several periods of silence on the phone, she put me on hold twice and then told me what date opened my last card, the hassel free rewards I had, No annual fee, and that she couldnt change my rewards, Which is not what I asked!!! I asked for a product change to the Cash Reward Mastercard so i can atleast have one mastercard from there bank. She puts me on hold again... Comes back and tells she cant change my card to a mastercard because my card is not eligible to be changed into a mastercard. I asked her why? She responded " I dont know, maybe you can try again in the future" I was getting fustrated.....she was no help at all! The convo kept going around in circles, it was like talking to a wall! So she then offered to transfer me to her senior account supervisor. I spoke to the senior account supervisor who basically repeated the exact same crap the csr just told me...I explain the situation he just gave me a flat "No!" I asked why? I just want to keep the same account number and just get the Cash Reward Mastercard instead of the MTV visa. He said he just couldn't change my visa into a mastercard. He advised me to apply for the Cash Reward Mastercard. I honestly dont want to manage a 4th Crapital one card. 3 is more than enough and way too many to manage especially having all 3 cards with toy limits. So then he asked is there anything else I can do for you? I asked well instead of me having 3 small limit cards can I atleast combined the credit limits into one and just have 2 cards instead of 3. He again said "No! Im afraid that won't be possible"( Brief awkward silence on the phone)..... Is there anything else I can do for you? NO!

Honestly after that unless phone convo I feel like SD all 3 cards or just getting rid of them completely by closing them but im afraid that might just hurt my scores in the long run. All 3 capital one cards were opened this year and one is 5 months old, the other is 2 months old and my most recent was opened this month. I don't feel comfortable being a customer to a bank that has csr's that are little to no help at all when you have an issue or lack product knowledge...I have other prime cards that serve me well and always have an excellent experience with there csr's whenever I need there help. So should I close them up or SD them? After that phone conversation the future with me growing with capital one doesn't look too bright at all.....and not to mention another time I called crap 1 to dispute a credit charge.... I had a foreigner csr and he absolutely was NO help at all just repeated everything I said on the phone back to me. Smiley Sad
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ZS1988
Established Member

Re: Clueless Capital 1

I'm not quit sure why you open all 3 at Cap 1, but do not close any of them, its bad for credit score if you just open them up and close them right away. I suggest you wait 7 month and open either a Chase, or something else. When you buy car or house they check line of credit. All 3 Cap 1 check as 1 line, and you need 2 more from 2 different company. Close your newest one after 1 year on your order one. Too many card is not good.

US Bank Platinum: $2000
Cap 1: $1500

Message 2 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

You need to establish more history with them before asking for a PC, get a year of history under your belt and try again.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Plus I don't think you can even app for another card unless the mtv card doesnt count towards their limit.
cap1 is all about who you talk to, i always use the Chat now" button and if I dont get what I want i close it out and start over. I hate talking on the phone with CSRs though.
Message 4 of 7
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

I guess I got a little too carried away with capital one. My first card with capital one the Visa Platinum is a rebuilder card with credit steps. They sent me a letter telling me that when my 7th statement hits I will automatically be eligible for a credit limit of $750. My second card the Sony Visa a $500 credit limit card, applied because I liked the offers being given with this card but now I am not crazy about this card anymore as well as the MTV visa which I mindlessly applied for just because it had hassle free rewards and no annual fee but I have better cards now as my scores are in the 700 range. I have a BOA Cash Rewards, Amex Zync, Chase Freedom, Amazon Visa, Kohls, Orchard bank and BBRZMC (which are now Cap 1 too Damn it!) Smiley Mad Macy's card and that's it.

My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 5 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'm surprised they're still accepting you for cards. I understand the sony and the BBRZMC not counting, but I've heard of people getting denied for cards because they had 1 HSBC and 1 cap1 and they capped at 2 cards. I wonder if they changed it. 

Message 6 of 7
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

I was shocked that the very own Senior Account Supervisor even told me to go ahead and apply for the Cash Rewards mastercard with me already having 3 of their cards + 2 Orchard Bank and BBRZMC. I already have way too much from this bank and I am most certainly done with there credit now it will be time to garden them for as long as they can grow. But I would just love to get rid of the MTV visa. I just see it as useless... I rather bank somewhere else like with Chase who is a more reputable bank rather than Capital One and there crappy subprime cards. I mean Capital One is good for rebuilding and opening the doors those who are new to credit and others who were shot down by other CCC but after that there's not much you can possibly get out of this bank. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.