Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine Flex with Unlimited?

tag
krit
Regular Contributor

Combine Flex with Unlimited?

Cannot find anything about combining these two specific cards in spite of lots of searching. I would like to combine the limits of my Freedom Flex with my Freedom Unlimited. Both have zero balance. I understand Chase will combine cards, but one of these is a MC and one is a Visa. Can it still be done? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Combine Flex with Unlimited?

Hi Krit,

Welcome to the forums! I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your question. Are you trying to transfer all of your limit from one card to another and close that first card? Chase allows limits to be transferred between different cards - you can just call or send a SM to a CSR. To my knowledge, you can't transfer all because you need to keep a certain minimum limit on the first card in order to keep it as a valid account before closing.

I'd recommend not closing one of them though because there is no AF and if you're early in your credit journey then it's worth keeping as many old accounts as possible. But to answer your question, in general you're allowed to freely move your limits around.

Message 2 of 11
krit
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the information. Yes I want to transfer the limit from one card to the other so i'll just have one card. I was just wondering if one being a Visa and one being a MasterCard would make that a problem. 

Message 3 of 11
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

No, that shouldn't be an issue as far as I know. You should be able to do it rather easily.

Message 4 of 11
krit
Regular Contributor

Good deal! Thank you again. 

@mkhan1093 wrote:

No, that shouldn't be an issue as far as I know. You should be able to do it rather easily.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried previously to move all of my freedom unlimited limit to my chase freedom flex and they made me keep 500 in the unlimited. I got a csp though so I moved some limit from the flex back to the unlimited so I could have a stronger trifecta. 

Message 6 of 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

+1, call the number on the back of your card and a CSR will fix you right up. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 11
krit
Regular Contributor

I've decided to wait a while. I just got my SUB for the Flex card and don't want to appear to be churning. both cards are pretty new still and I really do use them both legit. Better safe than sorry. 

Message 8 of 11
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

I'd keep both, as you can use the Flex for the quarterly categories and the Unlimited for everything else to maximize your rewards potential.  More accounts aging in good standing on your reports is a good thing, especially after you've had them a few years.  Plus if you get a CSP or CSR in the future you'll have the trifecta.

You can move limits easily between your Chase cards with a call or secure message, but you have to keep at least $500 on the donor card.  However, there are some data points were, if the donor card goes unused a while (I think 3 months minimum) and you choose to close it, you can move the entire limit to another card.

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw somebody else post something, but I did the exact same thing, combine FU with Flex, so figured I'd share. I transferred the limit from my Unlimited to my Flex, but they made me keep at least $500 on the Unlimited, and then I just closed it out. I rolled with just the Flex for awhile and just recently, like 2 weeks ago, got the CSP before the 100K sign-up bonus ended. Plus, I think the Flex and CSP is a strong combo for my spending habits. Frankly, getting the CSP is a culmination of years and years of credit journey, but that's another post. I think in your position, the question is: does it look better to have two low limit cards or one with a higher limit? 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.