Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining MR Points and TY Points for travel

tag
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Combining MR Points and TY Points for travel

When I read that you can combine MR points with TY points to use on Singapore Airlines, does that mean that AMEX Travel will allow redemption of TY points?

The few international flights I've flown on, I used MR points thru their portal, but would consider getting the Citi Premier if I can easily combine both ecosystem points on air travel.

Thanks for your answers!

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Combining MR Points and TY Points for travel

No, you cannot directly combine the points. Amex will not allow you to redeem points from Citi.

But, both programs allow you to transfer your points to Singapore Airlines, so you can "combine" them in that sense and end up with all of your points in the airline account.

Message 2 of 8
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 Thank you!  I will book directly.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

No, you cannot directly combine the points. Amex will not allow you to redeem points from Citi.

But, both programs allow you to transfer your points to Singapore Airlines, so you can "combine" them in that sense and end up with all of your points in the airline account.

Right, it would be very unlikely for company A to accept rival company B points!   Even logistically, how would Amex know if the user has enough TYP, and then inform Citi "Your customer just redeemed 5000 TYP with us."   

Message 4 of 8
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Right, it would be very unlikely for company A to accept rival company B points!   Even logistically, how would Amex know if the user has enough TYP, and then inform Citi "Your customer just redeemed 5000 TYP with us."   

I was of the premise that MR points could only be redeemed towards travel at AMEX Travel, hence my confusion.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnerboy wrote:

I was of the premise that MR points could only be redeemed towards travel at AMEX Travel, hence my confusion.

You can transfer MR points to any of Amex's 19 airlines and 3 hotels partners. You can get a much higher value than using them in the Amex Travel portal. It's the strength of the MR program. Smiley Very Happy

MR Partners.png

Message 6 of 8
vic6string
Regular Contributor

What is this "travel" you speak of? I only see my office, the grocery store,  and my home.

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@vic6string wrote:

What is this "travel" you speak of? I only see my office, the grocery store,  and my home.

Next time you are at the grocery store, offer to pay with MRs.   It might be a somewhat long conversation with the clerk ("You want to do what?") but persist, while keeping to social distancing guidelines.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.