cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining/Rolling over CL with the same company?

tag
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

Combining/Rolling over CL with the same company?

I've noticed some of you talking about having multiple CCs through the same company, for example, I have two cards from Capital One.  I have the Capital One Platinum and the Quick Silver One card.  I got the Capital One a few years ago while I was rebuilding my credit. 

I started off with a SL of $500 and it's plateaued at $2500. It's my highest CL card.  My QS One card I've had for 6 months (which has rewards with it) but it's only a $500 SL which is fine.

My question is this...I've seen a lot of comments about "starter" cards (such as the ones I have) being hard to grow, but I'm ASSUMING the QS One is a better card, even though it's a "starter card?"  

What is this rolling over your credit to a newer/different card that some people do or have spoken about? Can I roll my $2,500 limit on my platinum (or part of it) to my QS1 card?

Just one piece of additional information...my credit (FICO) has improved a LOT since I first applied for the Platinum card as well as the QS1 card.  My current FICO is now a 756 on TU, 759 on EQ and 643 on EX (because they won't remove a big charge off until the end of the month).

Is it worth rolling over my limit to the other card? Or should I keep doing what I'm doing and apply for cards that are not in the "starter card" bucket?

Sorry for all the questions and I truly appreciate all the answers I've gotten to my other questions.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Combining/Rolling over CL with the same company?

Cap-1 no longer allows the moving of limits between their cards so no you cannot combine with this bank. Some that I am aware of who allow this are BoA & Chase. QS1 is better than a platinum card in that it offers rewards but it can be a "starter" card too depending on your profile at the time of approval.

Message 2 of 8
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 Thanks for your response. Well, I guess that answers that question lol.  

Message 3 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

AFAIK Capital One has not reinstituted the ability for customers to do account combinations - combining credit limits and closing the donor card out - again. They used to do it a few years ago but temporarily put a halt to it. Supposedly they said they were going to bring it back but last I heard it was still on the sidelines for the time being

For your particular situation I would actually try and find a way to get your QuickSilver One card upgraded to the QuickSilver so you don't have to pay the AF on it anymore. There is an upgrade tool that allows you to check if you qualify if you search the forums or a helpful member posts the link for you. I'd do it but currently tied up and mobile forum experience can be a pain at times

I would stick to your plan of getting out for the sub-prime card bracket and start looking into long-term card products that fit your spending. From general spending like a 2% card to more specific categories such as dining and grocery shopping, and evaluate if AF cards will fit the bill. Things like that. Just make sure the chargeoff on your EX report falls off first before looking to apply for any more credit. EX seems to be one of the most used credit bureaus for a lot of lenders

Message 4 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

+1 to answers above.  In general, the ability to "roll over" credit limits (transfer credit limits between accounts) varies by lender.  Some strictly forbid it.  Others might have special rules about it, such as stories I heard about Discover's policies.  (I believe the receiving card had to be eligible for a CLI?)   And others allow it, but may restrict movement between business and personal lines of credit, or may require you keep a token amount of $500 or sometimes more on the card that you are moving limits from and/or closing.    Or they may require no new charges have posted on the donor account for a certain period of time, such as 90-days.  I've moved limits between Chase and Bank of America.  AMEX also allows it.  Officially, Navy Federal does not allow it, but unofficially, they will do it if you message customer service.  USAA does not allow it.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 8
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@simplynoir Thanks for the info.  I thought the same thing...upgrading my QS1 to a QS and I applied for that and I was denied.  The reason being is that I don't spend enough on the card.  This is going to sound stupid and totally "first world problem-ish" but I don't spend a lot. On hardly anything, so it's hard for me to spend a lot on these cards (and obviously paying off the balance each month).  I don't want to go out looking for things to buy ya know lol.

Message 6 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It's not stupid and you have the right mindset.  A credit card is supposed to make it easier and safer for you to make organic purchases, not encourage you to spend money on things you wouldn't otherwise buy.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 8
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Amex allows you to reallocate CL between cards online, although you are limited to once a month and you can't leave a card with too little CL (1k, I think).

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.