cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank Closed My Account Without Notice! What to do??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity Bank Closed My Account Without Notice! What to do??

Hello everyone.

I've never had this issue happen with any of my credit card accounts, but just today, when I checked my Experian credit report, it showed that I have 1 less open account. I didn't recall requesting any lenders/bank to close my account, but upon looking further to see which account it was, turns out it was Comenity Bank (J Crew). I don't know how this could've happened, because the account was in good standing ($0 balance), was open, and had a 100% payment history (thanks to a recent dispute that deleted all late payments on the account, about 2 weeks ago). The only relevant matter that I might guess to be the cause of the closure might have to do with not having used the account for 9-12 months, but even then, I got a replacement card from them back in January 2020, so I don't think that ties into the issue. I tried calling their customer care phone number on the back of my card, but they stated that the account was close by Comenity Bank and could not be reopened, and didn't provide any reasons or information pertaining to the closing of the account. I haven't received any letter correspondence or emails that addressed the closed account either, so all of this seems really out of left field.

My credit score thankfully hasn't changed yet from this, but I fear that this might affect my AAoA, which accounts for ~15% of the credit profile. Does anyone know how this could've came to be, or have any ideas on what I should do??

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Comenity Bank Closed My Account Without Notice! What to do??

You are the 4th person to report this happening today, go to the credit card subforum to read more 

Message 2 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

J crew filed for bankruptcy today. The card is dead

Message 3 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Also, AAoA isn't affected by closed accounts as they will continue to report for up to 10 years. It will affect VantageScore though as they only count open accounts for AAoA.

Message 4 of 16
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Source of the information that credit portfolio is being closed? 

Just because a business files bankruptcy doesn't mean it is closing its doors 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just read another post on these forums the J crew is readying to file bankruptcy. That could be another reason why the closure. 

Message 6 of 16
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

(thanks to a recent dispute that deleted all late payments on the account, about 2 weeks ago).

not having used the account for 9-12 months

Guessing it was both of those ^^^^ that had to do with the closure. The first one just having extra eyes laid on your acct. and then not using the acct. for that long.  Either way, sorry this happened to you.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 16
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone.

I've never had this issue happen with any of my credit card accounts, but just today, when I checked my Experian credit report, it showed that I have 1 less open account. I didn't recall requesting any lenders/bank to close my account, but upon looking further to see which account it was, turns out it was Comenity Bank (J Crew). I don't know how this could've happened, because the account was in good standing ($0 balance), was open, and had a 100% payment history (thanks to a recent dispute that deleted all late payments on the account, about 2 weeks ago). The only relevant matter that I might guess to be the cause of the closure might have to do with not having used the account for 9-12 months, but even then, I got a replacement card from them back in January 2020, so I don't think that ties into the issue. I tried calling their customer care phone number on the back of my card, but they stated that the account was close by Comenity Bank and could not be reopened, and didn't provide any reasons or information pertaining to the closing of the account. I haven't received any letter correspondence or emails that addressed the closed account either, so all of this seems really out of left field.

My credit score thankfully hasn't changed yet from this, but I fear that this might affect my AAoA, which accounts for ~15% of the credit profile. Does anyone know how this could've came to be, or have any ideas on what I should do??

I'm very sorry for the death of your card. Many Comenity and Sync cards have been closed recently. Mostly related to no use, like you. Also too much exposure.

try to use each card at once every 4-6 months. Even for just a pair of socks. You'll be ok!

Message 8 of 16
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

I just got a $15 coupon from them and ordered two t-shirts and it took weeks for the order to go thru, this might explain it.

Message 9 of 16
CivalV
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

What!? 😱 My boyfriend just opened a J. crew credit card 2 months ago 😩 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.