cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity CLI Best Practices? (J Crew/Overstock, etc)

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

Comenity CLI Best Practices? (J Crew/Overstock, etc)

I was looking around and cant seem to find an answer on this - Is there a "best practices" for requesting credit limit increases for Comenity store cards?

I've had a J Crew card forever via shopping cart trick. I remember jsut repeatedly clicking the CLI button one day years ago and it got up to probably 7-8k range but was cut down to $1700 where it still stands now when I ran in to credit problems a few years ago. Havent requested a CLI ever since that happened.

I also have a newer Overstock card that I opened at the end of April and requested a CLI right away and was approved for that. I've requested one CLI on July 1st (after 2 months of being open) and was approved for that ($2550 to $3350)

• Should I try a CLI with the J Crew card or is that a risk for a hard inquiry with that one?

• Is there a set period of time to wait between CLI's on either of these cards or is something like 30 days enough?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Comenity CLI Best Practices? (J Crew/Overstock, etc)

@shane82388 wrote:

I was looking around and cant seem to find an answer on this - Is there a "best practices" for requesting credit limit increases for Comenity store cards?

I've had a J Crew card forever via shopping cart trick. I remember jsut repeatedly clicking the CLI button one day years ago and it got up to probably 7-8k range but was cut down to $1700 where it still stands now when I ran in to credit problems a few years ago. Havent requested a CLI ever since that happened.

I also have a newer Overstock card that I opened at the end of April and requested a CLI right away and was approved for that. I've requested one CLI on July 1st (after 2 months of being open) and was approved for that ($2550 to $3350)

• Should I try a CLI with the J Crew card or is that a risk for a hard inquiry with that one?

• Is there a set period of time to wait between CLI's on either of these cards or is something like 30 days enough?

While I don't know that it is necessarily "best practices", my Overstock allowed an increase every 61 days for me (until I stopped asking at $18,250 -- started with $500 limit).

I never received an increase on the J Crew card I had... after six months of being told no, and not having a store close enough to shop locally; I ended up closing the account. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 5
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Up until recently I was getting a CLI every 30 days from Overstock but with the economy right now I wouldn't push it

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big collection of Comenity experiences here - you may find some info.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Comenity-CLI-HP-SP-Data-Points/td-p/553331...

Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Keep in mind that at a time when many people have lost their jobs, "best practices" may be to not stand out as someone constantly seeking additional credit. There may not be a HP (I don't know their practices) but they can still keep internal records of the request.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.