cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Closed My 5 Day Old Account - Account Reinstated through EO...

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Comenity Closed My 5 Day Old Account...

@W261w261 wrote:

A "Bust-out Score?"  Experian is certainly proud of it.  I don't suppose you can get your own score?

Not to my knowledge

Message 11 of 22
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

There is something called "bustout score" this is also a possible trigger for the action. Lots of new accounts in a short period of time is a big flag for it.

https://www.experian.com/assets/decision-analytics/product-sheets/bustout-score.pdf

In the words of my DH when I inform him of a new card, "Is this the one we're leaving the country on?"

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 12 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Okay, so maybe too many inquiries with Comenity?  Sure, possibly...but stranger things do happen.

@Andy77 have you called, spoken with the Fraud Dept? 

The reason I ask is because this happened to dh as well.  Once we (he) spoke with them they requested his original SS card.  Well, guess what?  Dh's mom had given us the original  and that's when we noticed (for the first time in 50+ yrs...a duh-huh moment) that his SS card did NOT have his name correct.  First name was listed as his middle name.  Just weird, they caught it....So, short story loooong, dh went to the SS office and got a correct SS card. (advice of MyFico'ers and Fraud Dept)  Sent it in, took another hp, got another Sportsman's Guide card issued.  It's been flowers and bumble bees since. Heart

Anyway, double check with Fraud first (if you haven't already....strange things do happen) cuz Comenity don't do "Strange".   Just take an extra step to rule in/out the probable cause.  Doesn't hurt.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 13 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I see both sides. I do not see how it makes business sense for Comenity to create an account, print and mail out a card, etc, just to close it days later. If they find you are not creditworthy, this should be determined at the time of application and just deny you the card. Issuing it and then immediately cancelling just makes them seem like a disorganized mess of a company, not to mention it's a terrible customer experience.

That said, as poorly handled as it is, and it amazes me they do these "closed immediately after opening" things still (first reported years ago!), you should take it as a warning to slow down on accounts and inquiries before other lenders start following suit with your existing accounts.

Message 14 of 22
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Okay, so maybe too many inquiries with Comenity?  Sure, possibly...but stranger things do happen.

The reason I ask is because this happened to dh as well.  Once we (he) spoke with them they requested his original SS card.  Well, guess what?  Dh's mom had given us the original  and that's when we noticed (for the first time in 50+ yrs...a duh-huh moment) that his SS card did NOT have his name correct.  First name was listed as his middle name.  Just weird, they caught it....So, short story loooong, dh went to the SS office and got a correct SS card. (advice of MyFico'ers and Fraud Dept)  Sent it in, took another hp, got another Sportsman's Guide card issued.  It's been flowers and bumble bees since. Heart

Anyway, double check with Fraud first (if you haven't already....strange things do happen) cuz Comenity don't do "Strange".   Just take an extra step to rule in/out the probable cause.  Doesn't hurt.

Just be glad they caught it. After I got married, and changed my name with the Social Security office, I got a very intimidating letter from SSA indicating a problem with my record and that if I didn't report to the office within 30 days, they would do something (don't remember what, this was 1993)  Had to bring birth certificate, utility bills, pay stubs, passport etc.

Go down to the office and presented all the information and the lady looked at the computer, then the papers and then the computer and then started laughing.  Apparently, when the SSA converted from paper to computer in the 60s they hired a bunch of temps to manually enter in all the information.  Apparently, typos abound!

They entered my date of birth as 1863 instead of 1963.  She joked that I looked pretty good for someone who was 130 years old. I asked who I had to talk to about getting all my past due social security benefits.

Sorry for the off-topic post.  Just confirming that errors do occur with SSA information (the computers are only as smart as the people that program them) so it is always a good idea to confirm relevant details on your record!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 15 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@GApeachy wrote:

Hmmm I dunno.  This smells to me more than just an isolated fraud situation.  If OP went through all the efforts to supply bank statements and other information (that would have verified who he was besides initial KYC screening), this almost sounds like their audit/risk team flagged it and overruled the first action -- much like Chase PRR team or AmEX RAT does, for instance.  Plus, there are recent/fresh threads of Comenity still proactively doing these AA closures for the V/MC accounts.  I believe CreditAddict was a recent DP (Williams Sonoma Visa account was < 30 days old).

Message 16 of 22
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Wow, that's a bummer . . . There's a lot of creditors that will welcome your business!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 17 of 22
padme
Established Contributor

weird i got a preapproval from CR today, when i looked who issued it, i said i better not, as they closed 47k on me last year took like 40 points ...wayfair overstock and Ikea, took years to build them up from 2k each

Message 18 of 22
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Andy77 wrote:

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, Caesars. I provided them 5 months of bank statements, can't get more official to substanciate income than that. Maybe they didn't like that I contacted Alliance, but I did get a nice call from Comenty after I sent the email to Alliance so not really sure it was that email that did the account in. If I had to guess it was too many applications too fast, all with Comenity. 

None the less, I am relieved I was not at a restaurant trying to use the card. So glad I learned of their wishy washy ways early on. I won't be applying for any more of their cards, ever again. 

There is something called "bustout score" this is also a possible trigger for the action. Lots of new accounts in a short period of time is a big flag for it.

https://www.experian.com/assets/decision-analytics/product-sheets/bustout-score.pdf

Interesting read- Thanks for the industry insight @gdale6 .

Message 19 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@FinStar I mean, yeah you could be right, idk...but I always want to know, like from "the horse's mouth" so to speak.

We were really thrown aback to find out the reason dh's acct was closed, yeah..good thing it happened but who woulda thunk??😜

I remember, they were short, abrupt and very one-sided during every call which, of course, made us follow through with even more calls, more pressing questions..btw, glad we did cuz It got resolved. Because of that that's why I say "call" "call" "call"....get an answer if you can.  If you get a letter stating why, okay..good enough I suppose but what does it really hurt to call for the sake of ruling in/ruling out a potential hiccup?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.