Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity (Overstock) Hard Pulled EX for CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity (Overstock) Hard Pulled EX for CLI

Hey,

Just thought I'd update this kind of situation. After doing some research it seems this is a possible thing. For those that didn't know (like me), when you are requesting a CLI via the luv button on comenity cards, be warned that they can (and did for me) hard pull EX without asking you. I had my account open for 6 months and would hit the luv button once a month on all of my accounts, and until this they'd all been SPs

The worst part was that I got denied the CLI (7-10 day message) and then later that day I received an alert about the pull. 

Fortunately I faxed an appeal letter letting them know I never authorized the hard pull, and blah blah blah, and requested to have them remove it from EX. They removed it a few days later

If this happens to you, send a fax to (614) 729-3117ATTN: Credit Bureau Dispute Dept

This was actually my turning point which made me cancel all of my Comentiy cards. After a dried CLI on my 3 store cards with them, I no longer feel safe requesting a CLI on my small limits. Not worth the potential hard pull for an extra $200. 

Good luck to those in the future

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity (Overstock) Hard Pulled EX for CLI

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey,

Just thought I'd update this kind of situation. After doing some research it seems this is a possible thing. For those that didn't know (like me), when you are requesting a CLI via the luv button on comenity cards, be warned that they can (and did for me) hard pull EX without asking you.

The worst part was that I got denied the CLI (7-10 day message) and then later that day I received an alert about the pull. 

Fortunately I faxed an appeal letter letting them know I never authorized the hard pull, and blah blah blah, and requested to have them remove it from EX. They removed it a few days later

If this happens to you, send a fax to (614) 729-3117ATTN: Credit Bureau Dispute Dept

This was actually my turning point which made me cancel all of my Comentiy cards. After a dried CLI on my 3 store cards with them, I no longer feel safe requesting a CLI on my small limits. Not worth the potential hard pull for an extra $200. 

Sorry to hear that you were denied and recieved the HP.  Glad that you were able to get it removed but just so you know you did give them permission for a HP when you requested the CLi.  In fact you gave them permission to do an HP at any time when you applied and accepted the account.  

Quite often we are seeing Comenity use HPs for CLI requests when they did not do so in the past.  A good rule to follow is that if whatever you want, whether it's a new card or a CLI, isn't worth an HP, the don't hit the button to apply because with any creditor they may very well use an HP at their discretion.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey,

Just thought I'd update this kind of situation. After doing some research it seems this is a possible thing. For those that didn't know (like me), when you are requesting a CLI via the luv button on comenity cards, be warned that they can (and did for me) hard pull EX without asking you.

Sorry to hear that you were denied and recieved the HP.  Glad that you were able to get it removed but just so you know you did give them permission for a HP when you requested the CLi.  In fact you gave them permission to do an HP at any time when you applied and accepted the account.  

Quite often we are seeing Comenity use HPs for CLI requests when they did not do so in the past.  A good rule to follow is that if whatever you want, whether it's a new card or a CLI, isn't worth an HP, the don't hit the button to apply because with any creditor they may very well use an HP at their discretion.

Definitely agree with this. First first Overstock CLI request was a hard pull and one other of their cards HP'd me I can't remember which one, but since they have all been SP the moment they start HP'ing more cards I will stock requesting CLIs hardly use the cards but they do come in handy, most offer some form of financing.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

They just did the same thing on my JCREW account...Hit the CLI button, got Denied...and then to make matters worse...received a HARD inquiry on EXP 2 days later...So once again I faxed them and disputed the hard pull. Luckily they removed the HP, AGAIN.

Needless to say I just cancelled my JCrew account. Not going to risk a HP for a $200 CLI on a store card....Welp, looks like my relationship with comenity is over. It was nice 8 months ago when I went on a SCT spree and got 4 of their cards. 

See you later Comenity....

Message 4 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Hubby got a HP on a CLI request from VS. It was the only one but he did ask for a CLI so he didn't stress over it.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only time mine has been a HP is if it were a visa or MC. 2 years and never a HP on just a plane Jane store card. I'll have to be on he look out.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.