Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity True Value store card pain

tag
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

Comenity True Value store card pain

I got approved for the store card version of the True Value card because I could use it and if it grows like a couple other Comenity cards I have, it will soon be a card with a decent limit.

Went shopping today and the card was declined and the clerk couldn't tell me anything so I called customer service and they said everything was fine.

Sent back into the store and asked for management and the manager told me that I need to tell the checker I plan on using my True Value card BEFORE they start my transaction because they have to call a manager and get out a special book and look up some super secret codes or my card won't work. have to do this every time the manager said!

Anybody else shop with this card?

Is the Discover version the same way?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Comenity True Value store card pain

Interesting.  I haven't encountered any issues using my True Value Discover at their store.

Message 2 of 7
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@IaBoy62 wrote:

I got approved for the store card version of the True Value card because I could use it and if it grows like a couple other Comenity cards I have, it will soon be a card with a decent limit.

Went shopping today and the card was declined and the clerk couldn't tell me anything so I called customer service and they said everything was fine.

Sent back into the store and asked for management and the manager told me that I need to tell the checker I plan on using my True Value card BEFORE they start my transaction because they have to call a manager and get out a special book and look up some super secret codes or my card won't work. have to do this every time the manager said!

Now that's just crazy! I've never heard of a store doing that before. Maybe it's their way of preventing fraud? I don't know... Smiley Indifferent

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 3 of 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

That sounds to be a pain in the ass

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@IaBoy62 wrote:

If that truly is an issue, then the manager should train his staff to asked if the card will be used before the transaction.   I don't know how they could expect you to know that kind of information.   Very strange.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 7
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts and the input....I am going to try another location a few miles away in the other direction and see what happens!

Message 6 of 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

yea keep us informed

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.