Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity: Use it or lose it!

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Comenity: Use it or lose it!

@Anonymous wrote:

So are you guys just "spending" money on things you dont really need to keep them open? Sounds like it's not worth it to me. I have one Comenity card and that's for Victoria Secret should they send me a letter saying if I don't use it, I'll lose it then they can have the card back! I refuse to spend money just to spend money or trying to keep an account open. I don't know about others but I like to stick to my budget and save my money. My cards are just there so I can earn cash back, rewards and stuff. 

I don't apply for cards if not going to use them, or where am not a regular customer, so this isn't an issue.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 21 of 45
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So are you guys just "spending" money on things you dont really need to keep them open? Sounds like it's not worth it to me. I have one Comenity card and that's for Victoria Secret should they send me a letter saying if I don't use it, I'll lose it then they can have the card back! I refuse to spend money just to spend money or trying to keep an account open. I don't know about others but I like to stick to my budget and save my money. My cards are just there so I can earn cash back, rewards and stuff. 

I use my cards primarily like a debit card wherever they're accepted from gas, groceries, cell phone, etc.., so no I'm not using them to just buy junk I don't need.  If you aren't PIF a rewards card, you're negating the rewards.  Some people like to keep cards active because of utilization padding and/or account history.

Message 22 of 45
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think anybody here advocates spending money only to keep a credit line alive. 

I have a large (to me) Lowe's credit line that is generally unused but I know in the future I will have a need for it.  To make sure it stays open, I make a trivial purchase every four to six months at my local Lowe's - my last purchase was $4.  It's not an amount of money that impacts my budget; it can even be for a soda or a candy bar.

If the account was going to be useless indefinitely I would simply allow it to close, but since I know I will have a need for it it's worth the minimal "effort" to keep it alive.  Spending significant amounts of money at a store or online merchant soley for a credit line would of course be foolish, though.

Message 23 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't apply for cards if not going to use them, or where am not a regular customer, so this isn't an issue.

Unless the card in question:

1. has a seldom-needed but important purpose or feature (like primary Chip+PIN or travel perk), or

2. is much older than other accounts

then I think it's best to just let a card die off for inactivity (if a person has good alternatives).

Humu, using several Comenity cards every month just to avoid closure sounds about as pleasant and financially rewarding as unnecessary dental work.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Humu, using several Comenity cards every month just to avoid closure sounds about as pleasant and financially rewarding as unnecessary dental work.

Sorry that you seem to have a negative approach, but it's actually extremely easy. And I don't use them just to avoid closure. There are other reasons I use them for the time being as well that benefit me. Have a great day! Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 45
taxi818
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think anybody here advocates spending money only to keep a credit line alive. 

I have a large (to me) Lowe's credit line that is generally unused but I know in the future I will have a need for it.  To make sure it stays open, I make a trivial purchase every four to six months at my local Lowe's - my last purchase was $4.  It's not an amount of money that impacts my budget; it can even be for a soda or a candy bar.

If the account was going to be useless indefinitely I would simply allow it to close, but since I know I will have a need for it it's worth the minimal "effort" to keep it alive.  Spending significant amounts of money at a store or online merchant soley for a credit line would of course be foolish, though.

Im not advocating it But for sure i buy socks every 6 months to keep my jcrew alive. Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 45
score_building
Senior Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Im not advocating it But for sure i buy socks every 6 months to keep my jcrew alive. Smiley Very Happy

They have enough good sales and well-annointed clothing across categories, for me to find other things besides just socks from time to time but whatever works, I agree it's a keeper.

Message 27 of 45
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Ugh! I hope this isn't something they are going to be doing on all their cards! My Express card is my oldest card and I dont want to close it. I don't shop there much anymore and I havent used it in probably over a year at least. I don't want to have to go buy something I don't need either to keep it open.
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 28 of 45
score_building
Senior Contributor

@BeeH11 wrote:
Ugh! I hope this isn't something they are going to be doing on all their cards! My Express card is my oldest card and I dont want to close it. I don't shop there much anymore and I havent used it in probably over a year at least. I don't want to have to go buy something I don't need either to keep it open.

Use it or lose it is SOP, not just a Comenity thing.

The majority of issuers just don't fuss with a heads up notification...returning a purchase is an option, since it generally counts as use.

Message 29 of 45
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a letter from Key Bank last week that they're going to cancel my debit card because I haven't used it "in a year". Hello? I've had the account over 10 years and I've never used the card. Smiley LOL

My CU does that as well.  Wonder if Alliant will do it?  I need to occasionally brush off the CU card to use (wonders if points expire).

Signature needs updating
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.