Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Williams Sonoma VISA pre approval letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity Williams Sonoma VISA pre approval letter

So those that have followed any of my (few) posts know that I have been waffling about apping for another Cap1 card, or going for the pop ups from Comenity which are Ulta for about a year now (upgraded from store card to MC the past few pop ups), Carter's, WS....anyway, I opened my mail today to find a WS VISA pre approval. Surprise surprise! I didn't look it over very well at first and thought what is the point of sending me this telling me I am preapped lol....then I carefully read it again and there it was, in teeny tiny faerie font: the magical approval code! Ding ding ding! Their letters are very plain and don't announce what it is on the envelope, like some companies. So I have yet to do this, I have 60 days....it has a pretty good SUB, $20 off first purchase, so-so rewards outside of WS, plus a yearly birthday bonus of $25. So my dilemma is which one, or ones are the best to rebuild and to keep in the long run? The max I would open is two, I am really holding out for Sephora  (short term goal) so I have not accepted Ulta yet, and US Bank (very long term goal, 3 yrs minimum) so I want another bank card preferably non Cap1, but Cap1 has been solid so far but AL and two cards are through them so I am looking to expand my profile. I am not generally a fan of store cards either, but this offer is a VISA. 

How solid are Comenity's mailed pre approvals?

HP or SP with preapp?

Any advice on which card (s) to go for?

Once I app I do not want to open any more for at least a year.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Comenity Williams Sonoma VISA pre approval letter

They sent me a letter offering me a card after visiting the website once. Looked like a normal letter. I ended up taking it and it was an SP.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner Thank you for the reply! 

Message 3 of 10
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

I received a pre-approval for the Comenity Mastercard. It was a hard pull. I really had no use for the card other than an additional tradeline. If you really want the Sephora card, I would say pass on the Utla and go for WS.

Just don't fall in the Comenity trap, which is easy to do....I get pre-approvals for Comenity cards from stores I never heard of.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shadanat I totally agree on the preapp trap...I basically get a preapp pop up and/or email anytime I shop on a retail site that Comenity backs. Also agreed on passing on Ulta, and I would infinitely rather have Sephora than Ulta for sure. Even more so I want another bank card not tied to Cap1 but I feel like until I get into a better position with my scores I have to take what I can get. This is where the WS comes in especially because it's another Visa to add to my profile. I am stuck on the fact that I have 1 year without any new accounts because I like to go for longevity, but if I open now then it will fall off my inq and new accounts faster, lol see my logic? I have three that will be falling off the new accounts list by 2-2020. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to accept Comenity preapp card then apply for Cap1 card

So I have decided to accept the Comenity WS Visa preapp offer, but have not done so yet. When is a good time frame to follow with the app for the prequal Cap1 QS? Logic says obviously take the preapp card first, especially since Cap1 is a HP but I don't want to app for the Cap1 and see Comenity throw a fit and close/reduce SL on my new card as I have seen they have done with some other posters. I considered submitting both at once but doesn't this look bad to creditors or like an app spree? I am not in need of more credit per se, I just want to expand my profile and get my new accounts out of the way in a close time frame for aging purposes. I don't want to look desperate to creditors either. Thoughts anyone? 

Message 6 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: When to accept Comenity preapp card then apply for Cap1 card

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have decided to accept the Comenity WS Visa preapp offer, but have not done so yet. When is a good time frame to follow with the app for the prequal Cap1 QS? Logic says obviously take the preapp card first, especially since Cap1 is a HP but I don't want to app for the Cap1 and see Comenity throw a fit and close/reduce SL on my new card as I have seen they have done with some other posters. I considered submitting both at once but doesn't this look bad to creditors or like an app spree? I am not in need of more credit per se, I just want to expand my profile and get my new accounts out of the way in a close time frame for aging purposes. I don't want to look desperate to creditors either. Thoughts anyone? 

General rule of thumb: if you're looking to expand your profile get cards you want and can use, not cards just for the sake of getting cards.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion Agreed, and I would use them both which is why I picked those two out of all of the offers I have received. Just not sure how much time between I should let pass before going for Cap1 offer. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Posting this here as well as my other thread about Cap1.

I went for it and accepted the WS Visa too...1k SL, but I expected this would be lower because 1-Comenity, 2-Visa, and they were IIB. And got this message: Your assigned Annual Percentage Rate (APR) is less favorable than those offered to customers with better credit histories. Thanks for pointing that out Comenity lol. I'm working on it. How long should I wait to request a CLI for this one? I understand I am rebuilding but I don't want to get stuck in low limit land. Does Comenity ever upgrade to lower APR after some time with them? Not sure if WS will be a HP, it asked for my full SSN. Will see and report back. 

Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP has provided an update on their approvals, this thread is now locked and closed to new messages.

OP - with regard to Comenity lowering APRs, it's not something that can be requested.  They do so on their own based on internal criteria, but it's very rare.

Feel free to post a new thread in the Approvals forum with any future updates if you wish to do so. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.