Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity closed my accounts ****UPDATE****

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity closed my accounts ****UPDATE****

Closed Gander Mountain Visa and Sportsman Visa before I even have the cards. Has to be too many inquiries. I have 8 this year on EQ, but 2 are from my mortgage, 3 are the same day when I bought my car and one is Comenity. That leaves only 2 other inquiries. Have to say though I'm not a bit upset. 

Called Comenity to pay the balance of $76 for the shirts I ordered when they gave me the GM card at checkout. I was transferred to the fraud/security and told the accounts were flagged because of all the activity showing on my reports. Answered 3 questions to verify my identity and verified I was the one that opened them. They said the Sportsman Visa will be active in 5 minutes and the Gander Mountain card will be here next week. He said they will send notification to the CRA today with updated info.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Comenity closed my accounts

Before you even get the cards? With only a few INQ? To me, that, combined with all the other mass closures a sign of an organization in chaos. They can't even get their initial underwriting figured out.

Thanks for sharing, sorry it happened, but it sounds like you realize it's only a couple of store cards.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 17
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

are you sure they're closed? They say $0.00 available credit on visa and mc until accounts are activated.

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No they're closed. Received alerts this morning from experian.
Message 4 of 17
JSS3
Valued Contributor

They closed two of my accounts(MyPoints, Dwolla) because their partnerships ended.

Message 5 of 17
skigirl916
Established Contributor

I have like 12 new inquiries this year, and the only adverse action I've encountered was a CLD from Barclay. Comenity actually unilaterally increased all my limits every couple months, including this one. 

Message 6 of 17
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I doubt it would be the inquiries, 8 inquiries is not that much especially when you consider the majority of them came from mortgage and car loans. Anything else change in your profile recently?
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Closed Gander Mountain Visa and Sportsman Visa before I even have the cards. Has to be too many inquiries. I have 8 this year on EQ, but 2 are from my mortgage, 3 are the same day when I bought my car and one is Comenity. That leaves only 2 other inquiries. Have to say though I'm not a bit upset. 

I understand this is easy for me to say not having any Comenity cards but based on what I have read here AND just taking a quick look at their BBB file I would consider it a blessing in disguise (again easy for me to say I know).  It's one thing when someone suffers from AA and when the details flush out they brought it on themselves but there are WAY too many instances of this for it to be all on the consumer.

Message 8 of 17
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Your credit is too good for them!!! You over-qualified for those cards!  At least now you can dispute the inquiries off your report since they reversed the approval.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for your troubles. I'm glad you have a positive view of the situation. Best wishes on your credit journey!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.