Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity closed my brand new William Sonoma Visa

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Comenity closed my brand new William Sonoma Visa

I literally received my first statement in today's mail but receive an alert from Experian that it had been closed... upon calling it was reviewed as high risk on 22nd and closed!

im like less than 30 days after approval!!!

you should delete the entire account from my credit if you are going to just approve, open and then close accounts before I can even make a payment...

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: Comenity closed my brand new William Sonoma Visa

@Creditaddict wrote:

I literally received my first statement in today's mail but receive an alert from Experian that it had been closed... upon calling it was reviewed as high risk on 22nd and closed!

you should delete the entire account from my credit if you are going to just approve, open and then close accounts before I can even make a payment...

that is wild!

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 2 of 20
Getty59
Regular Contributor

Wow, sorry that happened. 

NFCU More Rewards: $23,100

NFCU Cash Rewards: 25,000

Capital One Venture: $10,250
Message 3 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, unfortunately Comenity doesn't play around.  They're still monitoring via SPs and Sagestream/Innovis to determine if you've been "busy" credit seeking.  Sorry it happened CA but this is how Comenity has been for over 3 years 😬

Message 4 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately Comenity doesn't play around.  They're still monitoring via SPs and Sagestream/Innovis to determine if you've been "busy" credit seeking.  Sorry it happened CA but this is how Comenity has been for over 3 years 😬

I get when you open multiple Comenity cards or open a comenity visa as part of a spree but 20 days after opening?!! Literally, nothing has changed... they should at least delete the account so we can both part ways unarmed... instead I'm being harmed.

Message 5 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I get when you open multiple Comenity cards or open a comenity visa as part of a spree but 20 days after opening?!! Literally, nothing has changed... they should at least delete the account so we can both part ways unarmed... instead I'm being harmed.

For sure you knew they did this, no? (Given your tenure in the forums).

They've tweaked their policies over the past few years to simply shut down accounts if their secondary audit determines potential risk.  So, not much that can be done per se.  Some of the CFPB complaints didn't yield much as far as positive outcomes with account removals 🤷‍♂️  I agree, though, their practices are wonky at best.

Message 6 of 20
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Of course they're free to close your account whenever they want but from a business POV it makes no sense to expend the resources (however small) to create a new account and print and mail you a card only to cancel it immediately. If that's the case just tweak your approval algorithim to deny "risky" applicants to begin with. The secondary audit thing could take place much more easily if they just placed apps "under review" until a final decision was made. The approval and immediate cancellation is a pretty backwards way of handling things.

But, unfortunately, you applied for the card and the tradeline is technically valid, even though their business/lending practices are inefficient at best. So, I don't see much chance of having it removed.

Message 7 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Of course they're free to close your account whenever they want but from a business POV it makes no sense to expend the resources (however small) to create a new account and print and mail you a card only to cancel it immediately. If that's the case just tweak your approval algorithim to deny "risky" applicants to begin with. The secondary audit thing could take place much more easily if they just placed apps "under review" until a final decision was made. The approval and immediate cancellation is a pretty backwards way of handling things.

But, unfortunately, you applied for the card and the tradeline is technically valid, even though their business/lending practices are inefficient at best. So, I don't see much chance of having it removed.

Agree!

Message 8 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Many posters here have had threads where their new card was closed. A common wish is for the bank to have simply not opened the account. But that desire for a thorough first-review and an initial "No thanks" from the bank assumes the bank has a thorough enough approval algorithm to be able to do that. 

Still others are concerned about the amount of time it takes for US Bank to grant an approval. That underwriting approval would be necessary to prevent the "new closed card" scenario more widely, but it is costly for the banks.

So the more common approach is a simplified approval, and a follow on batch processing algorithm that gets to the more granular risk analysis. And here we are. Sorry it got closed, CA.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 20
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Creditaddict  Sorry you got your account closed. Can you give data points on what you did after the approval from comenity.

Did you open up more accounts right afterwards and they got spooked?

Did your utilization get high?

Did something derogatory hit your cr?

It would be nice to figure out what they considered high risk after approval so those actions can be avoided in the future.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.