Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity requiring a whole new credit pull to use an inactive account

tag
minimist
New Contributor

Comenity requiring a whole new credit pull to use an inactive account

Curious if anyone has ran into this issue with Comenity at all / lately. I'd paid down and stopped using most of my 'builder' sct cards but wanted to use my Wayfair one over the weekend. To my surprise and confusion it kept getting declined. I confirmed I had the card info right and it was at a 0 balance so this was really odd.

This morning I called the customer service team and a representative told me that my account was suspended because I haven't used it in over a year and they have to run a full credit check in order for me to use it again?? What the heck. I told her I didn't want that to be done and I guess now my account is just going to be in this state of limbo where it is open but unusable. This seems like such a weird policy, especially to not have been pre-emptively made aware of it, I never would have known had I not called, and if I did know this was a thing I would have used it intermittently.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Comenity requiring a whole new credit pull to use an inactive account

Lots of posts like this in recent weeks, and we always give the same advice:  use your credit cards.  The banks often take adverse action on unused cards.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Your card wont remain in limbo, it will be effectively closed.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been able to keep my Overstock card active (and get CLI's) by buying something every few months. In fact, I've been watching their laptop listings for something good - I bought a replacement for my 5-year-old laptop last year but haven't really been very satisfied with it.

Message 4 of 5
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

You may want to take the HP if you wsnt the line to remain opened. After that, use every 4-5 months for small purchases so you don't get dinged for infrequent use on your EQ report and by the creditor.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.