Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commerce Bank sent a Preapproved after visiting their site

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Commerce Bank sent a Preapproved after visiting their site

I had seen a post on here about someone getting approved for a Commerce card, so I Googled Pre-Approval and went to the link, likely https://www.commercebank.com/preapproved, clicked around but never saw an actual form to get preapproved, just if you had been approved.

Today I check my USPS Informed Delivery and I have a preapproved app coming.

Capture.JPG

I am guessing they, like a lot of people, were able to snag my cookies and grabbed some basic info on me. No idea if it was email, I know a lot of sites grab emails.

Anyways, kind of interesting, or could have been just coincident, I think not as it was just within the last week I went to their site.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Re: Commerce Bank sent a Preapproved after visiting their site

Would be an interesting coincidence if that's all it is. We'll test, and I'll click around for a bit and see if I can't get a pre-qual.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 2 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Has to just be a coincidences as they wouldn't have enough info on you by cookies, etc.. 

Message 3 of 11
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Has to just be a coincidences as they wouldn't have enough info on you by cookies, etc.. 

I disagree. Marketing has taken on a whole new look in recent years. A friend of mine, who is a computer expert, says that now it's really hard to maintain one's privacy online. And apparently Microsoft decided to get in on this game, and it's why they offered Windows10 for free to everyone. It's full of ways to get your private information so it can be sold. Not long after my Mom download W10, her computer, which she's had for about two years started doing things it hadn't done before. It knew her name, when she never inputted such information. On her birthday, it said happy birthday, even though, she hadn't inputted such information in her computer specifically. Sure both of these identifiers where identified elsewhere, like email or FB, but how did her OS know? I just got a new computer, and of course it came with W10, and when I was setting it up, I had to turn off several privacy settings to maintain a modicum of privacy. Just look at the permissions settings necessary to use Cortana. It needs access to your search history, app usage and "other information" all so that it can make Cortana more personal. Yeah, right, I'm sure that's all it's used for. And it's not just Microsoft. I had a friend stop off a store with her bf one day, neither bought anything or signed up for anything. A week later, they both received a catalog from this store. Coincidence that the store they never shopped at, stopped in on happenstance one day and a week later, they both received catalogs, mailed to their individual homes and in their names. I think not.

Message 4 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I disagree. Marketing has taken on a whole new look in recent years. A friend of mine, who is a computer expert, says that now it's really hard to maintain one's privacy online. And apparently Microsoft decided to get in on this game, and it's why they offered Windows10 for free to everyone. It's full of ways to get your private information so it can be sold. Not long after my Mom download W10, her computer, which she's had for about two years started doing things it hadn't done before. It knew her name, when she never inputted such information. On her birthday, it said happy birthday, even though, she hadn't inputted such information in her computer specifically. Sure both of these identifiers where identified elsewhere, like email or FB, but how did her OS know? I just got a new computer, and of course it came with W10, and when I was setting it up, I had to turn off several privacy settings to maintain a modicum of privacy. Just look at the permissions settings necessary to use Cortana. It needs access to your search history, app usage and "other information" all so that it can make Cortana more personal. Yeah, right, I'm sure that's all it's used for. And it's not just Microsoft. I had a friend stop off a store with her bf one day, neither bought anything or signed up for anything. A week later, they both received a catalog from this store. Coincidence that the store they never shopped at, stopped in on happenstance one day and a week later, they both received catalogs, mailed to their individual homes and in their names. I think not.

You can disagree which is perfectly fine Smiley Happy.. Its not hard for a computer to know your B-Day and various other things through various methods. I also consider myself pretty computer savoy as I have written software for 18 years plus now and do it for a living and know how powerful data is as I primary work as with data as a DBA/Architect, etc. Anyways, we can each have our own opinions and we can agree to disagree Smiley Happy

BTW: I have consulted for Chase in ther CC division along time ago and also worked full-time for Credit one as well as a programmer.  So I know at least for those two places at the time I was there basically what was going on and what was mentioned in this thread was not taking places while I was at either of those two companies.

Message 5 of 11
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

We can agree to disagree, of course that's fine. But after seeing the PBS program below, I'm convinced that what the OP said is more than a coincidence. When you hear about companies taking pictures of customers as they enter and then collecting further data on them and when they enter again, they send them a targeted coupon, it seems perfectly plausible IMO. But again, we can happily agree to disagree! Smiley Wink

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/the-future-of-digital-marketing-is-you/

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a followup.

The first access code I just could not get it to work properly, after entering the code it kept sending me to a blank page, I tried on 3 different browsers and then on my iPhone, if the code was entered wrong it sent me to a page that said it did not recognize the code.

So I checked my daily USPS Delivery Confirmation today, and they have sent another PreApproved letter.

Likely because they seen I was browsing their site again.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Access code worked today.

"Thank you for your response. You will receive information regarding the status of your response in the mail within 7-10 business days."

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clicked the link. 180A49DC-7D90-4ABE-A92F-31E9AFC83B25.png

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a disappointing $1000 starting credit limit, which is my lowest limit. It is a 17.24% with 18 months 0% intro. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.