cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Poll: Paper or E-Statements?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Community Poll: Paper or E-Statements?

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To say that paper is "safer" is a fallacy. It's just as easy for someone to grab my mail if not easier than for someone to "hack" through my secure SSL connection or grab my password.

It isn't a fallacy and this statement isn't even remotely true.

I don't agree. Try living on a two-lane rural highway, with the mailbox a quarter mile away from your house. We used to come home the first few days of the month to find the mailbox door open, from someone looking for government checks.

Our paper routinely vanishes from the tube, especially the morning after either a really good or really bad college football game.

And I'm not going to drive to the post office to pick up my mail.

Everyone's experiences are different. You can't just generalize about which is safer when you don't know the other person's circumstances.

Even if I could get mail intact into my house, it would still be in mortal danger, due to my ADHD-inspired failure to manage paper. Online was the best thing that could happen to me, because once a piece of mail is laid down in my house, it will never be seen again. And this would occur in a completely empty room, should we ever experience such a thing.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 41 of 56
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

With respect to you and cobaltnv, I am not really an environmentalist. In truth, I'm already a packrat as it is with the paper I do have. If I can lessen the amount of paper I receive, so much the better for me. I don't need e-mail reminders or the like to tell me when I have to pay a bill, because my biweekly paycheck and what's in "My Portfolio" in my BOA account dictates when my bills get PIFed. Since I started my credit repair journey, I have pretty much utilized all things online to make sure my bills get paid. To say that paper is "safer" is a fallacy. It's just as easy for someone to grab my mail if not easier than for someone to "hack" through my secure SSL connection or grab my password.

I guess if one has to float, or whatever, then yeah, I guess paper or email reminders would be needed. I will say this much, if I had an online option to pay my bills when I first started dealing with credit, instead of paper bill, envelope and check (oh and the stamp...), I would a) be 850 FICO across the board, and b) would probably not need to be here at all learning how to improve my scores or getting new information when something changes. So I guess in a way, I'm glad I was never 850 to begin with. Smiley Very Happy 

I float nothing. I prefer my paper CC statements for several reasons. I also pay my CC's online and check my CC balances online almost once a day.

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-12-2009 12:04 PM
Message 42 of 56
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

See edited post above.
Message 43 of 56
miay2k4
Contributor

Uborrow-Upay......can u change my vote to E-Statements.  I would like to have both but the question is one or the other, so put me down for E-Statments.  21st century gotta except that we live in a technology based world.
07/2009 TU: 610 EQ: 566 EX:??
12/2009 TU: 626 EQ: 588 EX:??
05/2011 TU: 638 EQ: 622 EX:??
"Don't get caught up chopping wood to the point you forget to sharpen your axe"
Message 44 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To say that paper is "safer" is a fallacy. It's just as easy for someone to grab my mail if not easier than for someone to "hack" through my secure SSL connection or grab my password.

ed. Perhaps I miswrote this. (Or I need to go back to remedial reading.) However I got the sense of this reversed escapes me. Physical mail is about the least secure mode of communication ever invented by man. Chances of someone hacking your SSL connection are close to nil (unless their initials are NSA) and grabbing your password is most likely to be an inside job. Smail is not secure!

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-12-2009 03:04 PM

That is definitely the definition of a 360 of an opinion if I ever saw one though. LOL.

In all seriousness, I'm sure everyone misreads things every now and then. Doesn't mean you needz ruh-mee-de-all readign. Smiley Happy (and no, I will not strike that through....)

I am glad we're on the same page on this one, though.

Message 45 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't agree. Try living on a two-lane rural highway, with the mailbox a quarter mile away from your house. We used to come home the first few days of the month to find the mailbox door open, from someone looking for government checks.

Our paper routinely vanishes from the tube, especially the morning after either a really good or really bad college football game.

And I'm not going to drive to the post office to pick up my mail.

Everyone's experiences are different. You can't just generalize about which is safer when you don't know the other person's circumstances.

Even if I could get mail intact into my house, it would still be in mortal danger, due to my ADHD-inspired failure to manage paper. Online was the best thing that could happen to me, because once a piece of mail is laid down in my house, it will never be seen again. And this would occur in a completely empty room, should we ever experience such a thing.

I feel exactly the same way, hauling....Exactly the same. I really hate paper because of that.

Message 46 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@plasticman wrote:

I float nothing. I prefer my paper CC statements for several reasons. I also pay my CC's online and check my CC balances online almost once a day.

I never said meant you or cobalt floated. I meant the general "you". I guess I should have said one, but I figured you knew what I meant.

Hey, this is America. If one wishes to live in the 20th century, I suppose one has that right. Smiley Wink I just like have good access to my statements when I need it. Even if that is during "unscheduled" maintenance, I would have had enough notice where I can get it by a specific deadline. Plus, all the places I deal with online are never down when I'm looking. If they were unavailable that frequently, it's time to switch.

Message 47 of 56
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

I think everyone should be on paper statements! Think about it this way...

You're sticking it to the credit card companies in a sense by making them pay for postage, AND you're supporting jobs with both the credit card company AND the post office. As annoying as it may be, everyone should use paper statements especially in this economy when the USPS is basically going bankrupt. Its bad enough everyone pays bills online, at least let the mail man have his job delivering your bills to you. Just my $0.02

Message 48 of 56
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@mgs2010 wrote:

I think everyone should be on paper statements! Think about it this way...

You're sticking it to the credit card companies in a sense by making them pay for postage, AND you're supporting jobs with both the credit card company AND the post office. As annoying as it may be, everyone should use paper statements especially in this economy when the USPS is basically going bankrupt. Its bad enough everyone pays bills online, at least let the mail man have his job delivering your bills to you. Just my $0.02

Unfortunately, its already to late for my small town branch...its probably going to close soon. The mail carriers are already on some type of strange shared routes. I happen to be one who really appreciates (and reliied upon) my mail carrier, so this is very sad.

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 49 of 56
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@plasticman wrote:

I never said meant you or cobalt floated. I meant the general "you". I guess I should have said one, but I figured you knew what I meant.

Hey, this is America. If one wishes to live in the 20th century, I suppose one has that right. Smiley Wink I just like have good access to my statements when I need it. Even if that is during "unscheduled" maintenance, I would have had enough notice where I can get it by a specific deadline. Plus, all the places I deal with online are never down when I'm looking. If they were unavailable that frequently, it's time to switch.

Understood.Smiley Happy

Thank youSmiley Wink

Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.