cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companies that follow up a decline with secured card offer?

tag
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Companies that follow up a decline with secured card offer?

Might be a strange question, but I'm still looking to get my fiance a credit card. She app'd for a student loan with Wells Fargo, and when they sent out her paperwork I believe her TU score was in the 660 range. Her score was 608 at the beginning of the year, and a lot of the increase is due to being an AU on one of my cards. I don't know what that will do to her chances of being approved for something since I've read that AU inflated scores don't mean much.

So are there any good recommendations where she could app for something basic, and hope to at least get a secured card offer? The only company off the table is Capital One. We both detest them, and they screwed her royally with their payment protection scam.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Companies that follow up a decline with secured card offer?

660 now?

Barclay! don't be to worried if instant decline, they have an amazing recon team and then number is in sticky above.

Amex Zync

Citi

They all come to mind in that score range.... depending when last baddies are and stuff 660 should get you in most.

Message 2 of 8
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Her report does have a few derogs.

A few 30/60/90 lates from 08, and a charge off. Everything has been paid off for over a year. 

Message 3 of 8
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

BofA has been said to counteroffer a secured card sometimes. I guess it depends on what they see on the CRs.
Message 4 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Why not Wells Fargo Secured card?

Message 5 of 8
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I've heard the chances of it ever graduating are slim to none with WF.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe if you have enough cash on hand, go for the BoA secured right away. its a good bank to start a history with. and it graduates after 12 months of good history. then many people seem to be able to get CLIs and PCs after a bit. then in 12 months shell have a unsecured BoA card and probably much better history to get maybe another unsecured card too.

Message 7 of 8
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Interestingly enough, the card she's an AU on is my BoA Amex.

Maybe I'll have her app for one of their cards, and if she gets declined she can try to recon and see if they'll use the pull for the secured card.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.