cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complicated situation, need advice please!

tag
greent
Frequent Contributor

Re: Complicated situation, need advice please!

Sorry to hear about this. I don't have much advise but I just wanted to send you a hug! you should call Dave Ramsey. I listen to him sometimes. He gives really good advice in situations like this.(Mod Cut-Direct contact info cannot be posted in the public forum) If you go to his website you can email him. Good luck.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an age old dilemma

Attorneys that can't or want to get all involved with issues other than what they KNOW... which is filing Bk, all this 'alternative' stuff is NOT law school stuff.
(Are there a 'fee' attorneys who learn stuff 'in the field ' like anybody else? Yes)
But too many ppl think that a 'lawyer' knows this and that BECAUSE they are lawyers...big mistake!
Knowing a law and knowledge of the entire financial picture and WHAT to do next is totally different.

* So mix a rubber stamp Bk attorney environment with clients dreaming about yesteryear's credit and not wanting to face reality and you create a lot of pain.

I really don't want the OP or anybody else to break themselves and stress their relationships 'borrowing' money for a few minimums only to lose in the long run.

Cold water and some deep breaths need to be taken to seriously consider the likely future vs a prefect dream. It would be a Shame that after all that a settlement came and after lawyers, taxes and payback to creditors that would have claim to the settlement B/C you never file...left you with a much smaller amount than you are banking on, it's a crap shoot.

Yes, some of you know I'm insurance licensed, so my next statement will seem loaded but I'm not pitching for myself, the bottom line is too many ppl don't even get cheap insurance to protect and defend their households against, things that unfortunately are all to common... illness, accidents, Stoke and cancer are way more likely to temporarily disable or change how we live vs killing us...it just kills our finances.

Protect your financial households ppl...we can't have 10 Credit accounts etc and not have ANY safety net to give us a chance to recover from even knee surgery.

Sorry, folks I carried away when I see issues where protections are easily and cheaply had but ignored.

Best of luck to all😃
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry about who believes you or not on this forum. They're irrelevant. 

Actually, your situation is why we have bankruptcy - to deal with an unexpected financial crisis that's beyond your control. Unless you're going to receive your settlement soon, file bankruptcy so you can have piece of mind and focus on getting better. Your credit will bounce back from this!    Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about what you've gone through. I personally think BK is a good option here. As said already, there are many people who come back from that and do it very well. Sometimes better then others with good reports and no BK. It is your decision to make, but whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to thank everyone for your advice and kind words. After talking to several BK lawyers, I can't go bankrup now.

My question now is as I start to get flooded with calls, some threatening, how should I handle all my creditors? Should I just not take all their calls? Should I answer and tell them I am incredibly sick I am and have no assets and can't pay anything? Or is there a letter I can send that will stop the calls. I've already missed my firest of 11 creditors and the dozens of phone calls are so stressful that it's literally making my condition worse.

I need to be focusing on trying to help heal my body and can't take the stress of my phone constantly ringing. I know that sounds selfish since I oew these people money but I can't help it. I just need to know the best way to handle the situation and I know you guys know the answer more than anyone. My lawyer didn't sound like he really knew if I should communicate with them or not. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Message 15 of 19
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

I think you can request that they not contact you, but I believe it has to be in writing.  Yours is an unfortunate situation that can't be helped...just do what you have to do & don't let yourself feel guilty about it.  I'm sure it's difficult to just set it aside, but stressing over it isn't going to be good for you, like you said.

Best of luck to you.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to thank everyone for your advice and kind words. After talking to several BK lawyers, I can't go bankrup now.

My question now is as I start to get flooded with calls, some threatening, how should I handle all my creditors? Should I just not take all their calls? Should I answer and tell them I am incredibly sick I am and have no assets and can't pay anything? Or is there a letter I can send that will stop the calls. I've already missed my firest of 11 creditors and the dozens of phone calls are so stressful that it's literally making my condition worse.

I need to be focusing on trying to help heal my body and can't take the stress of my phone constantly ringing. I know that sounds selfish since I oew these people money but I can't help it. I just need to know the best way to handle the situation and I know you guys know the answer more than anyone. My lawyer didn't sound like he really knew if I should communicate with them or not. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

I do know that stress, and it's real.  My thought is to get a free Google Voice number to give out to people whom you want to be able to reach you.  Set your phone to make all other calls silent or straight to voice mail except a ring for that google voice number.  Then once a week go through your voicemails, deal with them, then put them out of your mind again.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you said you have decided to move forward with the BK.....

Couldn't this be a situation where referiing this ppl to YOUR LAWYER might be part of the luxury

of hiring the BK attorney in the 1st place?

I'd think, 'Sorry, upon advice of my attorney, I've been directed to have you forward any claims

in writing ( to me)  in care my lawyer's office...

Future correspondence, should be handled between your attorney and mine...thanks, now what was your name again , just for the recording?"

Once, you mention BK and lawyers most places comply with the law, lest they be sued....and waste time and money.

Most of these schmuck as places are just bottom feeding for quick, cheap money from ppl they can emotionally push...PUSH 'em 1st and the bullies

run home and pick on lower hanging easier cheaper to get to fruit....they have 1000's of ppl to freak with, give 'em a reason the push NEXT on the dialer and most callers will.

Best of Luck, for a speedy recovery to both your health and finances

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP said they CAN'T go forward with BK

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.