cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comprehensive list of cards that close due to inactivity?

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Comprehensive list of cards that close due to inactivity?

I see 3 prime cards in your lineup AMEX / Cap1 / BOA.  Of course keeping an older/est card open helps your score but, if you have to go out of your way to use it to keep it active then it's not really one you need to keep.  AFAIK there's not a MC/V version to either of them but, Synch typically doesn't close things out for inactivity until it's closer to 2 years w/o use.  I had a Sam's store card that I quit using when I applied for the Disc/MC version because they refused to upgrade it from the store version for a few years.  They ended up closing the store one finally around 22-23 months for non-use.  I replaced it with AMEX / Discover instead and now those two combine have a CL over 90K and the 10K store card loss pales in comparison now.  Even when I initially applied for those two they came in at 14.5K combined which was almost like an instant CLI that they wouldn't budge past 10K anyway on the Sam's card.  The MC side of them also was a bit stubborn to get past 10K for a couple of years until stumbling across some posts on here mentioning the overseas # for CLI's that worked better than the US based CC.  

I guess what I'm getting at here is you should probably come up with a plan for replacing them and then let them die off in due time.  Find some good cards that fit your needs and come up with a plan of action on how / when to get them into your rotation.  For some 3 prime cards are enough and from the perspective of a mortgage it's enough to get past some of the UW guidelines wanting 3 lines with 2 years of history.  Of course diversifying lenders is better than piling up 3-5 cards with BOA/Chase/AMEX/ etc.  Putting all of your eggs in one basket can backfire when they decide to get bipolar and CLD/AA all of your accounts.  

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Khalifa_Jayy wrote:

Greetings, all. I just wanted to see if there was a list out there with data points giving a good idea of which cards / card issuers close due to lack of activity, and what timeframe people have seen in general. Does something like that exist? Maybe we can create a working file as a forum to have for reference.

I only ask because I have a JCPenney card which I don't really plan on using much, if at all, but it has a $5k limit, so I don't want it to close randomly on me. I also have a Kay Jewelers line of credit which I don't ever really plan on using, but it's one of my older trade lines and I would hate for it to close.

Anyone have any ideas? What has your experience been like? Are certain issuers - e.g. Synchrony, GE Capital - more likely to close your card due to inactivity? Share any and all details here!

I've had the JCP card for almost 3 years. Never swiped. Also sitting on the original $300 limit. Almost used it on Black Friday. Checkout lines were just too long. 

Message 12 of 18
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Care Credit will shut you down if you do not use their card for 12 months. When the 13th billing cycle hits they auto close the card.

Message 13 of 18
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Aprile421 wrote:

Care Credit will shut you down if you do not use their card for 12 months. When the 13th billing cycle hits they auto close the card.

Better start buying the 6 month supply of heartworm pills with Care, then!

I have too many major cards with 0% purchase offers AND rewards to usually make me think to pull Care out of the sock drawer...

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 14 of 18
galahad15
Valued Contributor

CC issuers  that have closed me down, due to inactivity so far:

(1)  Macy's store card

(2)  JC Penney's store card

(3)  Lowe's store card

(4)  Lowe's Project card (also a store card)

(5)  Two inactive, never-used Wells Fargo VISA cards I used to have in the past (the APRs were way too high to justify using, in mho).

Message 15 of 18
mdd0214
Contributor

I opened a Discover card in 2011. At the same time I opened 2-3 other cards. That prompted Discover to slash my limit from SL $5k to $500 within the first month I think. So I never once used the card. I closed the card down earlier in 2016 after they approved a Miles card with a decent limit. 

Message 16 of 18
Khalifa_Jayy
Regular Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

CC issuers  that have closed me down, due to inactivity so far:

(1)  Macy's store card

(2)  JC Penney's store card

(3)  Lowe's store card

(4)  Lowe's Project card (also a store card)

(5)  Two inactive, never-used Wells Fargo VISA cards I used to have in the past (the APRs were way too high to justify using, in mho).

Hmmm, I guess I should use my JCP card this Christmas for something. Thank you for sharing.

CreditXpert Scores: EX [672] | EQ [681] | TU [677] | American Express FICO 8: EX [698]

TOTAL CREDIT LIMIT:
FICO:
CREDIT AGE:

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe JCP can be used at rite aid if socks aren't in your future.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.