Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict of cards?

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Conflict of cards?

My wife is an authorized user on my Discover It card. Would it be hurt or eliminate her chances of getting her own Discover It account? I put her on my car to help build her limited credit (which it did tremendously) but I’m unsure of how it affects her chances of getting approved?

Her credit is currently in the 690’s with excellent payment history on her Credit One card and my Discover. Her total CL with her card and being an AU on my Discover and Sync Car Care card is $15,300 with 2% utilization, so I think she’d qualify otherwise.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Conflict of cards?

Having a card as an AU doesn’t hurt her chances of approval at all. She’s not responsible for it so it doesn’t factor into DTI or anything.
Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Having your spouse added as an AU on your Discover card should not have any type of conflict or prevent her from getting her own Discover card in the future.
Message 3 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@JNA1 wrote:
My wife is an authorized user on my Discover It card. Would it be hurt or eliminate her chances of getting her own Discover It account? I put her on my car to help build her limited credit (which it did tremendously) but I’m unsure of how it affects her chances of getting approved?

Her credit is currently in the 690’s with excellent payment history on her Credit One card and my Discover. Her total CL with her card and being an AU on my Discover and Sync Car Care card is $15,300 with 2% utilization, so I think she’d qualify otherwise.

It wont hurt her chances of getting her own, nor will it help her get her own Discover 

Run preapproval and see what pops up for her and go from there 

Message 4 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I agree that it will neither help nor hurt her to get her own by being an AU on your Discover account, but if it raised her FICO scores up by being added it may actually help indirectly.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Nope, Disco is one of the few lenders who remove AU accounts during the application evaluation, hence 19 year old with 25 year old card getting denied and not understanding why.
She has one account in her name, it may work, or she may be offered secured card.
Message 6 of 11
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Remedios, are you saying they will remove her from being an AU on my card if she gets her own or that they do not count someone as being an AU for the credit decision?

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'm saying that their algorithm looks at individual profile. She will stay as AU, score is not changed, but decision is based on her own profile.

They are not opposed to thin files providing there is some history (for unsecured cards)
Have you tried the prequal yet?

Message 8 of 11
JNA1
Valued Contributor

We have not done the pre qual yet. I’m still a few months away from my cash back match ending, and by that time she will have had her card over a year.

I guess it wouldn’t hurt me to check now I’m though.

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It would not hurt at all. At least let's you know where she stands currently
Discover retains data for 8 days, so checking couple time of months is probably ideal.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.