Confused about Credit Cycling

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Confused about Credit Cycling

@Ghost_host999 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Ghost_host999 wrote:

Thank you for the input everyone. My SL was $5300 and I have to spend $5000 in the first 3 months to get my miles. Now that I have this information it will be a lot easier than I thought to do. 

You really have nothing to worry about, they're not going to get mad because you're using their card. 

Thanks again. I think I have overloaded my brain with so much credit information lately and now I'm over thinking things. 

Meh, what's really important is you pay on time, and you pay as much as you can. 

When you're ready to apply, ask questions beforehand about what you have on your mind, there are always things that we aren't aware of or didn't take into consideration. 

Rest is just pastime. Don't sweat credit theories, just do what's right for you and your finances.

Congrats on the approval, btw

Message 11 of 32
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on whether or not you're paying off the balance in full monthly or if you're carrying it.  Someone that runs their balance up all the way monthly but always pays it off in full is known as a Transactor.  You could have a $10k limit card and spend $9k/mo for example, but as long as you're paying off that $9k right away you're exhibiting Transactor behavior and presenting little risk to your lender.  This is exactly the type of customer they want because they get all of those transaction fees from the heavy use of the card, but none of the risk that you may not pay.  Someone that does not pay off their card in full monthly that continues to run their balance up after paying some of it down is known as a Revolver.  These individuals are much more risky.  If someone is a Revolver for a length of time, lenders could consider AA such as reducing their credit limit and likely would not increase their credit limit.  A Transactor on the other hand stands little chance of AA and heavy use/payment on a card often can stimulate credit line increases.

Too funny, last year I found out CapitalOne doesn't like "Transactors".

Shortly after my Chapter 13 was discharged last year I obtained a CapitalOne secured credit card with their maximum SL of $1,000; totally insufficient for my monthly spend.  At the time I figured, "No problem, I'll just pay it off every week."  Yeah, about that, "BIG problem".

It turns out, CapOne doesn't like that and shunts your payments through an Anti-Money Laundering (AML) protocol where they hold your 2nd through nth payment in a statement cycle for up to 12 days before releasing it to your account.  In response, I simply paid the card off and closed it less than 6-weeks after I got it in the mail.  I've discussed this issue here and on other sites with several folks and have a number of theories on what happened:

• Multiple payments sent to CapitalOne in a month via snail-mail/"Check in the mail" will trigger AML
  • Multiple payments pushed to CapitalOne in a month via on-line banking "Bill Pay" will trigger AML
  • Multiple payments sent/pushed to CapitalOne in a month within the first 3-months (or 6-months depending on the person doing the theorizing) will trigger AML
  • Multiple payments pulled from one's bank via CapitalOne's AutoPay feature will NOT trigger AML

Personally, I have no idea if any of the above theories hold water; fortunately I now have enough cards with high enough limits it is no longer an issue.  Smiley Happy

IME, that's never been an issue.  My CL is $160K on one card and transactor activities inclusive of multiple payments throughout a cycle or any cycle in general has never triggered any anomaly.  Payments are posted through its normal process, available credit is updated immediately and bank account reflects the draw the following business day.  

There are circumstances that could flag some activity that may cause certain payments to be held for a predetermined period, but this is AI doing what it was designed to do.  Otherwise, if this was the case for every single transactor notion associated with Capital One, you'd be seeing hundreds of threads (or a master thread) addressing such instances.  All banks have rigorous AML controls, so Capital One is no exception.

Understood, I work for a large financial institution (not in banking or credit), and our AML efforts are huge.  What bugged me was when I called CapOne to complain about my payments not being posted I was told, "We're sorry, we're just trying to make sure we're actually going to get paid."  I said, "Uhhh, you already got paid, my bank pushed you the money via online bill-pay, if you hadn't already gotten the money you wouldn't know about the payment sitting on hold."  That's when they admitted the AML protocol had been initated.  Of the five payments I made in those six weeks, three were subject to the AML hold.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 12 of 32
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Ghost_host999 wrote:

So I'm in the process of earing a SUB on a Delta Skymiles Amex and just learned about something called "credit cycling".  I typically pay my cc bill before it's due and often pay as soon as charges clear their pending status (often multiple times a month). Is what I'm doing technically considered cycling my credit? It seems like a similar practice but I'm not maxing it out. I don't know... maybe I just answered my own question lol. Anyone have any advice on the best way to earn my sign up bonus without breaking any unwritten rules?  

Spending and paying off because of trying to hit a sub  (OK)

Receiving a small CL because of thin profile and requiring cycling for real spend.  (OK) 

Reported  income of $30,000 and runs $15,000 through a card 4 times every month. (No Good)

Wanting to pay early just because you want too. (OK)

Having a $ threshold and  pay when a cards balance reaches that number. (OK)

Having a schedule and paying on the 15th and 30th. (OK)

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

Too funny, last year I found out CapitalOne doesn't like "Transactors".

I think that's a broad generalization.  I'm a Transactor and never had a problem or have gotten the feeling that Capital One doesn't like me (my profile).  I only have 1 card with them and took it from a $3k SL to $10k in a couple of years with SP CLIs.  I don't ever use the card (Savor) for more than a few hundred bucks of transactions per month and that $10k limit hasn't been reduced in several years with that minimal spend relative to the limit.  They also have sent me plenty of targeted offers over the years for different products, so I'd say they are fine with my Transactor profile.

Message 14 of 32
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think that's a broad generalization.  I'm a Transactor and never had a problem or have gotten the feeling that Capital One doesn't like me (my profile).  I only have 1 card with them and took it from a $3k SL to $10k in a couple of years with SP CLIs.  I don't ever use the card (Savor) for more than a few hundred bucks of transactions per month and that $10k limit hasn't been reduced in several years with that minimal spend relative to the limit.  They also have sent me plenty of targeted offers over the years for different products, so I'd say they are fine with my Transactor profile.

How many charge/pay cycles have you done in a month?  I've never had an issue with them on my Quicksilver card, but that card is only paid on once per month.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@Ghost_host999 wrote:

So I'm in the process of earing a SUB on a Delta Skymiles Amex and just learned about something called "credit cycling".  I typically pay my cc bill before it's due and often pay as soon as charges clear their pending status (often multiple times a month). Is what I'm doing technically considered cycling my credit? It seems like a similar practice but I'm not maxing it out. I don't know... maybe I just answered my own question lol. Anyone have any advice on the best way to earn my sign up bonus without breaking any unwritten rules?  

Spending and paying off because of trying to hit a sub  (OK)

Receiving a small CL because of thin profile and requiring cycling for real spend.  (OK) 

Reported  income of $30,000 and runs $15,000 through a card 4 times every month. (No Good)

I have a problem with this. Huge disparity between "earned" income and "tax return" income. Report AGI in case of 4506-T, but actual income is many times AGI. Or even others that under report to prevent issues. Why would spending and payibg be an issue? It is literally like unless the income is taxed you cant spend it or pay your bills or legitimate expenses with it?

Wanting to pay early just because you want too. (OK)

Having a $ threshold and  pay when a cards balance reaches that number. (OK)

Having a schedule and paying on the 15th and 30th. (OK)

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally only one.  As I said, I only spend a couple hundred bucks max on a $10k limit card, so no need for multiple payments.  I was just commenting on the generalization that they don't like Transactors.  There are obviously varying degrees, so IMO the blanket statement doesn't suit all situations.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a delta skymiles platinum $1700 CL... I have $3500 in spending since 2/17/21...first statement 3/19/21...have made 6 payments and is PIF as of 3/17/21 waiting for statement. All payments made through same Cu acct. But this is my/wife's daily driver. Completed SUB on 3/10/21 ...70k for 2k..

I am waiting for 3 full statements for CLI.( 1ST time amex ever)..will see if i get love or get stuck in the friends zone..

Message 18 of 32
Ghost_host999
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a delta skymiles platinum $1700 CL... I have $3500 in spending since 2/17/21...first statement 3/19/21...have made 6 payments and is PIF as of 3/17/21 waiting for statement. All payments made through same Cu acct. But this is my/wife's daily driver. Completed SUB on 3/10/21 ...70k for 2k..

I am waiting for 3 full statements for CLI.( 1ST time amex ever)..will see if i get love or get stuck in the friends zone..

Good luck with the cli!! 🤞🤞

Starting FICO 8 Score (May 2020) : EQ-535, TU-550, EX-542
Current FICO 8 Score (May 2022) : EQ-718, TU-730, EX-724
Goal Scores: EQ-750, TU-750, EX-750

~USAA Secured American Express $3300~ ~NFCU Cash Rewards $6300~ ~Delta Skymiles Reserve Amex $8000~
~Venmo Visa Signature $8300~ ~Amazon Store Card $2800~ ~Care Credit $5500~
~Capital One Venture One $5000~ ~All Rewards $1000~
~GS Apple Card $3500~ ~Discover It Miles $5000~
~FNBO Evergreen $7800~ ~X1 Card $11,200~ ~Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards $25,000~
Message 19 of 32
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought it was AMEX that specifically had it in their T&Cs that you were only allowed one payment in the first statement period.  Is it Chase?

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.