Did you mean: 

Confused about Credit Cycling

tag
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: Confused about Credit Cycling

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a delta skymiles platinum $1700 CL... I have $3500 in spending since 2/17/21...first statement 3/19/21...have made 6 payments and is PIF as of 3/17/21 waiting for statement. All payments made through same Cu acct. But this is my/wife's daily driver. Completed SUB on 3/10/21 ...70k for 2k..

I am waiting for 3 full statements for CLI.( 1ST time amex ever)..will see if i get love or get stuck in the friends zone..

I thought it was AMEX that specifically had it in their T&Cs that you were only allowed one payment in the first statement period.  Is it Chase?

It's definetly not Chase speaking from experience

Message 21 of 32
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a delta skymiles platinum $1700 CL... I have $3500 in spending since 2/17/21...first statement 3/19/21...have made 6 payments and is PIF as of 3/17/21 waiting for statement. All payments made through same Cu acct. But this is my/wife's daily driver. Completed SUB on 3/10/21 ...70k for 2k..

I am waiting for 3 full statements for CLI.( 1ST time amex ever)..will see if i get love or get stuck in the friends zone..

I thought it was AMEX that specifically had it in their T&Cs that you were only allowed one payment in the first statement period.  Is it Chase?

It's definetly not Chase speaking from experience

I'm in my first billing cycle on my CFF and have already made two payments. 

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 22 of 32
jstratford
Established Member

In the same boat I spend more on all my cards monthly and payoff as I get paid. They all have toy limits tho maybe that y discover never gives me love. I'm new to the Amex world, I use the card and since it's only 1800sl I plan on paying it every time it get to 1k. 

Message 23 of 32
jstratford
Established Member

I'm not sure about Amex but I've noticed with some of my other cards when I make big payments or multiple a month they might hold a payment for a week and I have had to call and three way my bank to get funds released just to keep my utilization down. When I only had two cards.

Message 24 of 32
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@jstratford wrote:

I'm not sure about Amex but I've noticed with some of my other cards when I make big payments or multiple a month they might hold a payment for a week and I have had to call and three way my bank to get funds released just to keep my utilization down. When I only had two cards.

Last year I only had a Secured CapitalOne card with a $1,000 limit and tried the same thing and got the same result, my payments put on hold for up to 12 days.  I closed the card after only 6-weeks in disgust.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 25 of 32
Ghost_host999
Contributor

@jstratford wrote:

So far Amex has immidiately updated my available credit right after I pay it from the app or on the website. This goes for the $175 payment as well as the $2000 payment. I always wait for one payment to clear my bank before making another on though. 

Starting FICO 8 Score (May 2020) : EQ-535, TU-550, EX-542
Current FICO 8 Score (May 2022) : EQ-718, TU-730, EX-724
Goal Scores: EQ-750, TU-750, EX-750

~USAA Secured American Express $3300~ ~NFCU Cash Rewards $6300~ ~Delta Skymiles Reserve Amex $8000~
~Venmo Visa Signature $8300~ ~Amazon Store Card $2800~ ~Care Credit $5500~
~Capital One Venture One $5000~ ~All Rewards $1000~
~GS Apple Card $3500~ ~Discover It Miles $5000~
~FNBO Evergreen $7800~ ~X1 Card $11,200~ ~Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards $25,000~
Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I've read that they only allow one payment through their website during the first statement period.  If you needed to make more than one, you can call, or push a payment to them from your bank account.

Back on topic, I don't cycle my cards, even though my limits are small, but only because my spending is small too.  If I have a big purchase coming up, I may pay some of it ahead (with a push from my bank account) to avoid running too close to a limit, but I haven't had to do this in a long time, since I don't spend much.

Message 27 of 32
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

I did it with our Citi DC card since our limit was too low and I never received any adverse events from it, but it isn't ideal.

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 28 of 32
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Wow, that's a new issue: AML

No wonder I keep hearing of users' payments being held and CL not updated when Goldman Sachs' Apple Card.

That explains a lot.

Message 29 of 32
Azza
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on whether or not you're paying off the balance in full monthly or if you're carrying it.  Someone that runs their balance up all the way monthly but always pays it off in full is known as a Transactor.  You could have a $10k limit card and spend $9k/mo for example, but as long as you're paying off that $9k right away you're exhibiting Transactor behavior and presenting little risk to your lender.  This is exactly the type of customer they want because they get all of those transaction fees from the heavy use of the card, but none of the risk that you may not pay.  Someone that does not pay off their card in full monthly that continues to run their balance up after paying some of it down is known as a Revolver.  These individuals are much more risky.  If someone is a Revolver for a length of time, lenders could consider AA such as reducing their credit limit and likely would not increase their credit limit.  A Transactor on the other hand stands little chance of AA and heavy use/payment on a card often can stimulate credit line increases.

Awesome post.

What about those that PIF and still have a balance after statement cut with pending charges, but then PIF next month while continuing to carry a new balance? Revolver or transactor?

Thanks!

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.