Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on Amex reporting ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused on Amex reporting ??

What is the deal here -- what does Amex report when reporting your account for the first time? Opened 2 accounts early November. Amex Everyday $2500 and Delta Gold $7700. Have had a due date for each and paid on each already -- was advised my Delta Gold will report after 12-27, and my ED after 01-04-16. Question is, what balance will they report? The current balance as of today (assuming I make no new charges), the statement balance from statement 1 or the statement balance on 12/27? I'm so very confused.

Most lenders report whatever your balance is or was on reporting date -- but some are saying Amex reports a month behind, so my first report will be for whatever my statement balance was on my first statement ??

Someone please clarify so I know what to expect. My first statement balance for my Gold Delta, for example, WAS $2200 -- I have since paid it down to about $1000. So will they report the original statement balance even though I've since paid down, or what ?

Thank you in advance !!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused on Amex reporting ??

@Anonymous wrote:
What is the deal here -- what does Amex report when reporting your account for the first time? Opened 2 accounts early November. Amex Everyday $2500 and Delta Gold $7700. Have had a due date for each and paid on each already -- was advised my Delta Gold will report after 12-27, and my ED after 01-04-16. Question is, what balance will they report? The current balance as of today (assuming I make no new charges), the statement balance from statement 1 or the statement balance on 12/27? I'm so very confused.

Most lenders report whatever your balance is or was on reporting date -- but some are saying Amex reports a month behind, so my first report will be for whatever my statement balance was on my first statement ??

Someone please clarify so I know what to expect. My first statement balance for my Gold Delta, for example, WAS $2200 -- I have since paid it down to about $1000. So will they report the original statement balance even though I've since paid down, or what ?

Thank you in advance !!!

I have no actual knowledge for you, but I'm going to advise that you chill a bit. Utilization has no memory and future statements will report correctly. Your utilization and scores might be a bit messed up for a month or two, especially if you're a min/maxer, but you'll be able to get them into line soon enough. Additionally, the score drop for higher utilization won't matter at all unless you're apping for something big like a mortgage.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Just really trying to confirm how Amex reports. Reason being is I usually make large payments .. And I don't want a large balance reporting if I can avoid it.

Example. I charge $1000 on 12/1. Payment due 12/28. Statement cuts 1/3. I want to pay that down or PIF before the statement cuts, so it'll reflect a low UTIL. I don't like large balances reporting if I can avoid it to prevent spooking other lenders on SPs
Message 3 of 6
bz386
Frequent Contributor

They report the statement balance, but it usually takes them two statements to report for the first time.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which statement balance though
Message 5 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Most current one

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.