cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Amazon Prime Visa Sig. Is The Math Right?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering Amazon Prime Visa Sig. Is The Math Right?

Hello,

So I'm looking to maximize rewards options as best as possible. I'm considering going with the Amazon Prime Visa Signature Card. I already have the Prime Store card but that only gives cash back as a statement credit. I do like it for its Deferred interest options when needed.

I have been trying to stay in the chase ultimate rewards group so recently got the Freedom Unlimited for purchases that don't bonus on my CSP. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and I figure getting the Visa card with the 5% back is going to be better reward wise than going with a Chase Freedom and waiting for the category to show up and limited to a max of $1500.

I did a comparison below including CSP and CSR bonus options (I'll eventually upgrade from CSP to CSR at some point) and just wanted to double check to make sure I'm doing the math right on it. It's just a quick rough rundown of it. I'm considering going with AmazonFresh which has a monthly cost but would give me more spend on Amazon as well which makes me considering the Visa Sig as the better option. The cash back lets me use that towards anything.

2018-06-17 18_40_20-Window.png

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Considering Amazon Prime Visa Sig. Is The Math Right?

Not quite sure of the underlying question!   The difference in rewards between the store card and the Chase card is pretty small (0.0025%) so if you are restricted to choosing just one new card, unless you spend LOTS on Amazon, the quarter spend with a Freedom at 5UR is going to give a better return (this assumes that there will be a quarter of course!)

Ideally you could get both, using the Freedom up to the cap in an Amazon quarter, then the Chase card but this isn't a whole lot better than Freedom + Store.

Re the math:  it looks right assuming that use use URs for travel redemptions on the Chase portal.  Some UR lovers will give much higher cpp for transferring, perhaps making even the 1.5UR on the FU beat the 5% on Chase or store card

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.