cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering apping for the PenFed PathFinder card --- do they still waive AF if...

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Considering apping for the PenFed PathFinder card --- do they still waive AF if...

With the discontinuation of the no-AF FNBO Travelite card, I am currently considering apping for the PenFed PathFinder card --- do they still waive the AF if you have an Access America checking account with a minimum monthly balance of $500 or $500 monthly direct deposit?  Or is this AF waiver option no longer available at this time, to new members?  If there is no viable way though to avoid the $95 AF, I mostly likely won't be interested in pursuing the the PathFinder further tho...tbh, actually kinda regret now, not apping when the $95 AF was not in effect...  Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Considering apping for the PenFed PathFinder card --- do they still waive AF if...

You are correct. If you have the Access America checking the AF is waived.

Also if you've served in the military it'll be waived also.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 13
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Considering apping for the PenFed PathFinder card --- do they still waive AF if...

@galahad15 wrote:

With the discontinuation of the no-AF FNBO Travelite card, I am currently considering apping for the PenFed PathFinder card --- do they still waive the AF if you have an Access America checking account with a minimum monthly balance of $500 or $500 monthly direct deposit?  Or is this AF waiver option no longer available at this time, to new members?  If there is no viable way though to avoid the $95 AF, I mostly likely won't be interested in pursuing the the PathFinder further tho...tbh, actually kinda regret now, not apping when the $95 AF was not in effect...  Smiley Sad

I was very suprised that you never applied for the pathfinder, and its sad to see the fnbo travelite to go. I applied when it first came out, I thought you would have done the same, but its okay, yeah the AF is waived if you have the access checking account with $500 cash direct deposit.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

I got Pathfinder about three months ago and can confirm fee is waived with Access American checking.

Message 4 of 13
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

As a note, I don't deposit $500 via DD each month, I just maintain a $500 balance and don't pay any fees for the AA checking. If that aligns to the AF on the card, then I would think DD isn't required, just a minimum balance of $500

Good Luck!!

Message 5 of 13
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

This was a very useful post!

I have had a savings account with PenFed for over 3 years and if you open the checking account, with the minimum $500 in balance, I can apply for the Pathfinder card at no AF ??

Sounds like a no brainer..

Message 6 of 13
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

My issue with this card is I'm hearing that you can't redeem for cash back and that the points are really only worth .50-.85 per point.  Any one confirm?  If you don't want to use the points for travel what are the other redemption options?

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@summerterrace wrote:

My issue with this card is I'm hearing that you can't redeem for cash back and that the points are really only worth .50-.85 per point.  Any one confirm?  If you don't want to use the points for travel what are the other redemption options?

That is true cash back is not allowed. You can get a PenFed Visa card but you need 5880 points for $50. You can get gift cards for few places but $25 is 2940 points. I took their prepaid visa card since same amount of points are needed for store gift cards.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 9.15.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-29 at 9.15.55 PM.png

Message 8 of 13
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure where you are located, but as a cash back guy, I recently got the Synovus Travel Rewards Card that gives 5% cash back on travel purchases up to $5000 per year. It does a $50 AF after the first year, but it has the potential to earn $250 in cash back on travel, so it will still net 4% on travel, and it also has a selectable 3% category up to $3000 per quarter. 

It seemed to be the best pure cash back travel card I could find. We spend around $5K on travel yearly, so it works well for us. They also seem to be generous with CLs and not too sensitive to INQs, etc. I was approved for a $16K SL. I did open a free checking to be able to deposit cash back from the 5% and 3% category directly. 

https://www.synovus.com/personal/charge/credit-cards/

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 13
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

I'm not sure where you are located, but as a cash back guy, I recently got the Synovus Travel Rewards Card that gives 5% cash back on travel purchases up to $5000 per year. It does a $50 AF after the first year, but it has the potential to earn $250 in cash back on travel, so it will still net 4% on travel, and it also has a selectable 3% category up to $3000 per quarter. 

It seemed to be the best pure cash back travel card I could find. We spend around $5K on travel yearly, so it works well for us. They also seem to be generous with CLs and not too sensitive to INQs, etc. I was approved for a $16K SL. I did open a free checking to be able to deposit cash back from the 5% and 3% category directly. 

https://www.synovus.com/personal/charge/credit-cards/

Wow!  Thanks for this any idea on what kind of travel protections it offers?

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.