Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant gripes with individual lenders

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Constant gripes with individual lenders

What I have noticed over the years is that their are lender w/ cards that become flavors of the month and everyone makes a run for them.  The lastest for example would be AOD, which has has many threads about it.  

Then what happens the lender either nerfs parts of their rewards program, doesn't give out CLIs, or some type of AA occurs and some blame them for what happens and take it personally.  

CO bucketing, Barclay AA, Chase 5/24, Amex RAT, Financial Reviews, Citi/USB nerfing and many other issues that everyone complains about and they don't look in the mirror see that their actions caused some of the issues.

Here are some flavors of the month / what do you remember

CO Venture

BBVA NBA

Chase CSR

Amex Plenti

Disco CLI train

Amex 3x CLI

Citi Presitge

USB Cash +

WF Propel World

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 51 of 108
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

What I have noticed over the years is that their are lender w/ cards that become flavors of the month and everyone makes a run for them.  The lastest for example would be AOD, which has has many threads about it.  

Then what happens the lender either nerfs parts of their rewards program, doesn't give out CLIs, or some type of AA occurs and some blame them for what happens and take it personally.  

CO bucketing, Barclay AA, Chase 5/24, Amex RAT, Financial Reviews, Citi/USB nerfing and many other issues that everyone complains about and they don't look in the mirror see that their actions caused some of the issues.

Here are some flavors of the month / what do you remember

CO Venture

BBVA NBA

Chase CSR

Amex Plenti

Disco CLI train

Amex 3x CLI

Citi Presitge

USB Cash +

WF Propel World

Yup, I think this is pretty accuruate. Once the FOTM does something "bad" i.e. shuts some people down, nerfs some part of the rewards, etc all of a sudden it becomes about avoiding that lender at all costs which isn't really fair either. I think it's important to try and keep your opinion balanced.

Message 52 of 108
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Really you put amex plenti on the list lol... what a piece of junk card Smiley Happy.. Short lived lol.  BTW I am not bashinig, just stating the obvious Smiley Happy

Message 53 of 108
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Really you put amex plenti on the list lol... what a piece of junk card Smiley Happy.. Short lived lol.  BTW I am not bashinig, just stating the obvious Smiley Happy

Right, that was a card that didn't need nerfing to make it bad, so anyone who got caught up in FotM for that deserves what they got!

Then there was that Oregon CU card....

Message 54 of 108
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

FOTM cards? Don't forget these two:

Banco do Brasil Americas

VantageWest CU

Both issuers suffered the full MyFICO effect and both put in geofencing measures after the dust settled. 

Marvel cards probably would have been one as well if they weren't issued by UMB, lots of interest but the early DP both here and elsewhere was consistent with their reputation as a difficult lender. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 55 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tricie17 wrote:

Because some people just can't handle the truth ...

One person's truth-telling is another person's proselytizing. Smiley Wink I expect most folks -- when wanting someone to tell them how to live -- ask. 

Message 56 of 108
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

LOL And back to the point, you do not make it a point of contributing "Amex is horrible, just look at the Plenti card" to every Amex-related thread.

Message 57 of 108
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Oh doodoo 

Full disclosure:

I jumped in many threads to inform unsuspecting public on how evil Amex can be. 

I've stopped since, because I got one of their cards, so I had to limit hypocrisy to 35%. 

I forgot about that 🤷‍♀️

Message 58 of 108
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Oh doodoo 

Full disclosure:

I jumped in many threads to inform unsuspecting public on how evil Amex can be. 

I've stopped since, because I got one of their cards, so I had to limit hypocrisy to 35%. 

I forgot about that 🤷‍♀️

Well, it's lockdown, so I need to do something useful.  Guess I will create a new ID, dramseyfan or something, and go into EVERY approval thread (and most others), helpfully reminding people that all credit cards are evil.   Picking on a particular issuer is missing the forest for the trees.

Message 59 of 108
jmos
Regular Contributor

I have to agree. You win some you lose some.

Message 60 of 108
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.