Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly getting declined with perfect credit history

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Constantly getting declined with perfect credit history

@cowboyguy wrote:

I started my credit journey around 18 months ago. After I had a score of around 700, I started applying for CCs and CLIs like crazy. I was able to get approved for almost every card and sometimes with very high limits after request. 

I think you're off to a great start!

At this point, just don't app for anything for about 6 - 12 months, while focusing on using your current cards.  Since you've got Chase and Amex, you really don't need to app for any other issuer for the next year.  Once your accounts age and inquiries fall off, you'll be instantly approved again.

This time, just keep your apps to sign-up bonuses.  For me, these days, unless there's at least a $200 - $300 cash equivalent sign-up bonus, it isn't worth the price of a "new account." 

Message 11 of 17
bribro
Valued Contributor

As soon as you received that first rejection, it should have been a sign that your credit is in fact not "perfect," and that it's time to garden. Smiley Happy Take advantage of the cards you already have and let them season for at least 6 months, ideally a year. I'm sure there will still be some decent sign-up bonuses in 2014.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 12 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your initital accomplishments!  We all have to begin somewhere.  Finding this forum was also amongst your accomplishments, there's much to learn here. 

Listen to the advice here.  It's now time to "Cowboy Up" and mosey on over to the Garden for a bit!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Plently of great advices here. Can't agree more with thom02099. Finding this forum was really a big accomplishment.

I wanted to bring this thread up as I had an interesting question. My uncle has a FICO score near 800 and I was thinking to ask him to add me as an authorized user in one of his cards. I'm pretty sure he'll agree.

My questions was, what kind of jump can I expect in my credit score if he adds me as an AU in one of his 20 years old card? My score is in high 600's.

Also, will this improve my chances of getting approved for cards that require good to excellent credit?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 14 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cowboyguy wrote:

Plently of great advices here. Can't agree more with thom02099. Finding this forum was really a big accomplishment.

I wanted to bring this thread up as I had an interesting question. My uncle has a FICO score near 800 and I was thinking to ask him to add me as an authorized user in one of his cards. I'm pretty sure he'll agree.

My questions was, what kind of jump can I expect in my credit score if he adds me as an AU in one of his 20 years old card? My score is in high 600's.

Also, will this improve my chances of getting approved for cards that require good to excellent credit?

I think some posters have already spoken about the gardening strategy.  Bottom line, it's not going to help much (maybe somewhat of a score bump and age if anything).  Keep in mind, some lenders do not take AU TL information onto account, especially on manually reviewed decisions.  They are still going to see the recent opening of accounts, short history, inquiries, etc.  You can monitor the progress of any score fluctuation as your file improves with age and gauge it from there. 

Message 15 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

It will help your credit report somewhat, but only to a limited extent. Some lenders, such as chase for example, do not factor in AU accounts entirely in their decision making process.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 17
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I think the inumber of inquires on your credit report is not helping either.  An inquiry represents  the prursuit of new credit.  In general terms form the creidtor's point view is why is this person needing all this credit?. The premsis being a person applies for only the credit  they need. not want.   Most of the time a person needing  so much credit is basically treading water. It also does not take much for that  person to have serious credit problems usually ending in a bankruptcy. I would agree it with the post about being time to garden allow most if not all of those inquires to fall off.  Be selective of the card you apply for. My definaiion of an app spree is appplying for one card.  I have 7 seven cards with a 30 year plus of credit history. My credit limits are sufficient for my credit needs. A sufficient credit limit is where usage on the credit is less than 10% of the credit limit on average.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.