cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact info for Amex payoff

tag
Lushi

Contact info for Amex payoff

Hello, I would like to payoff an old, charged off, Amex debt (included in BR 7 years ago). What telephone number should I call? I've been getting a bit of a run around. Also, my company is going to require me to get an Amex corporate card, and I'd like to clear this old debt up to prevent any issues with obtaining the corporate card.  Thank you for your help!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.  My company is a fairly large company, Fortune 300, and I know that Amex will be doing a soft pull on employees' credit reports.  Although I have been trying to pay this bill for awhile, I don't want it to become an employment issue/embarassment, and would like to have this behind me prior to their moving forward.

I will continue to push/pull with Amex until I get this resolved.  I will update with contact information once I get to the correct entity.

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Contact info for Amex payoff

@Lushi wrote:

Hello, I would like to payoff an old, charged off, Amex debt (included in BR 7 years ago). What telephone number should I call? I've been getting a bit of a run around. Also, my company is going to require me to get an Amex corporate card, and I'd like to clear this old debt up to prevent any issues with obtaining the corporate card.  Thank you for your help!

If your company is requiring you to get a corporate card, they're likely checking the history of the company when it comes to using charge or credit cards and not yours. You would be an authorized user, so I don't think it would be a big deal if they had one of their corporate cards with your name on it,as long as it isn't your account but the company's. 

Message 2 of 25
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lushi wrote:

If your company is requiring you to get a corporate card, they're likely checking the history of the company when it comes to using charge or credit cards and not yours. You would be an authorized user, so I don't think it would be a big deal if they had one of their corporate cards with your name on it,as long as it isn't your account but the company's. 

I know this sounds extremely weird but about 5 years when I had no good credit left and still had CO AmEx account, I applied for AmEx corp account through a big enough company and was denied. They asked me to call and AmEx wants me to pay off my old debt first before they would approve for me for this corp card even though I wasn't going to be a primary user but AU. I wish I had done that partly because that would have a long 5 years relationship since then. 

As for what number to call, I was searching for it but couldn't locate it but I remember last year around this time I got a call from a third party saying that they are calling on behalf of AmEx and they asked me if I wanted to settle or they can keep on reporting to CRAs. I wanted to because I wanted to get new AmEx card but after I spoke to them I think I called AmEx global collections and they sent me back to that same agency who had called me earlier.

If you can find, look for AmEx global collections and call them. Unfortunately I don't think they will be able to take payments but you can try. Another thing you can try, go to AmEx and see if you prequalify. If you do they may have taken you off the list and may let you in. If they have you on their blacklist they will straight up deny you when you apply without any hard pulls

Message 3 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Lushi wrote:

I can't help with a number to help you pay back your account that was IIBK, however I can say that I also included them in a BK7 back in 2000.  Less than six months after my discharge, I was promoted and had to get a Corporate card as well, and there was no problem.

In my case the company I was working for was a Fortune-100 (very big) so that might have had something to do with it.  I'll admit that I was 'sweating bullets' while the application was being processed, and honestly I was a bit surprised they approved it at all, but they did.

I can't promise your experience will be identical, but depending on the size of your company your BK might not be an automatic show-stopper when it comes to your getting a Corporate card.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't think you're actually applying for the card, but the company is applying for a corporate account, and just making you an authorized user on their account... So their card will have your name on it, but they'll be responsible for the payments. I don't see why AMEX would even look at your credit profile if they're the ones legally required to pay on the account. 

Unless I'm mis-reading what you're saying, and you actually own your own business, and aren't employed by someone else? 

Message 5 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@darwin_wins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lushi wrote:

I know this sounds extremely weird but about 5 years when I had no good credit left and still had CO AmEx account, I applied for AmEx corp account through a big enough company and was denied. They asked me to call and AmEx wants me to pay off my old debt first before they would approve for me for this corp card even though I wasn't going to be a primary user but AU. I wish I had done that partly because that would have a long 5 years relationship since then. 

As for what number to call, I was searching for it but couldn't locate it but I remember last year around this time I got a call from a third party saying that they are calling on behalf of AmEx and they asked me if I wanted to settle or they can keep on reporting to CRAs. I wanted to because I wanted to get new AmEx card but after I spoke to them I think I called AmEx global collections and they sent me back to that same agency who had called me earlier.

If you can find, look for AmEx global collections and call them. Unfortunately I don't think they will be able to take payments but you can try. Another thing you can try, go to AmEx and see if you prequalify. If you do they may have taken you off the list and may let you in. If they have you on their blacklist they will straight up deny you when you apply without any hard pulls

+1

This is definitely worth a shot.  Smiley Wink

I'll just add that they seem to treat CO due to bankruptcy quite different than just a 'regular' CO, so you might have a difficult time getting them to agree to accept payment.  By Federal law they can't try to collect any amount included in a bankruptcy, so they tend to go to great lengths not to give the impression they are even trying.

Message 6 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't think you're actually applying for the card, but the company is applying for a corporate account, and just making you an authorized user on their account... So their card will have your name on it, but they'll be responsible for the payments. I don't see why AMEX would even look at your credit profile if they're the ones legally required to pay on the account. 

Unless I'm mis-reading what you're saying, and you actually own your own business, and aren't employed by someone else? 

Amex is a different beast... if you've ever had a charge off with Amex (not included in bankruptcy) you can't even be an AU on a spouse's card.

I'm not saying I agree or that it is even logical, but it's how they roll.

Edited to specify charge off with Amex.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is a different beast... if you've ever had a charge off (not included in bankruptcy) you can't even be an AU on a spouse's card.

A chargeoff with AMEX or on any card? 

Message 8 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is a different beast... if you've ever had a charge off with Amex (not included in bankruptcy) you can't even be an AU on a spouse's card.

A chargeoff with AMEX or on any card? 

A charge-off with them... they tend to not forget.

I'll go back and edit my original post for clarification.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My company used to supply Corp Amex cards to management employees. We had a new hire come onboard who signed the paperwork for the autherized user on the Corp Amex card and they were denied. After talking to them they told me they had a previous charge off with Amex, and when they called were told they needed to satisfy this to get the Corp card. Needless to say for the next 6 months while they straightened this out I had to use my card for them while they traveled. Not the best foot forward when coming onboard.....

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.