Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contactless cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Contactless cards

Looks like Discover is joining in on the fun: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191104005669/en/Discover-Begins-Contactless-Card-Rollout

Also, I've been using my UNFCU credit card a fair bit more than I usually do to see how terminals handle contactless on a PIN preferring card. Turns out that a fair number will ask for the PIN even for small amounts if you tap while your items are being scanned (which, IIRC, is the proper behavior according to Visa's documentation on Quick Chip). I haven't tried tapping after transactions have been totaled much so I'm not sure if I'd be asked less often/not at all in those cases. In any case, I'm wondering if it's something UNFCU should make more clear since they seem to claim that PIN will only be a thing for larger transactions.

Message 71 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my Discover contactless card yesterday. I've only tried using it at the vending machine at work and it seems to work okay so far. No other changes to how the card itself works (e.g. no PIN), but I didn't expect any.

My account, on the other hand... (I got PC'd to Discover It Miles without me asking, apparently due to lack of use.)

Message 72 of 83
cr101
Established Contributor

I recently received a few cards that promote the "contactless" feature. The ad says something like "Contactless... Tap to pay". That bugs me so much for obvious reasons LOL

Message 73 of 83
dragontears
Senior Contributor

I know I did some drinking last night but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
What are the "obvious reasons" that bug you about having a contactless card?
Message 74 of 83
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Whats so hard about it. You see the 3 icons on the swipe machine. Hold the card on top and its done in a flash. Beats swiping and PIN's and hitting yes for amounts. Oncde you get used to it. Its cake. Google pay is even better.No one sees my cards. Just the sound of approval. Phone back in pocket. Done.

Message 75 of 83
cr101
Established Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
I know I did some drinking last night but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
What are the "obvious reasons" that bug you about having a contactless card?

because i envision a process where the card doesn't have to make contact with the card processor, but you actually have to tap it...

" Hold the card on top and its done in a flash. Beats swiping and PIN's and hitting yes for amounts."

germaphobe here. i didn't think about the fact that i wouldn't have to touch the buttons that everyone else had touched. i'll be using this feature from now on. lol

Message 76 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got one from Chase 2 days ago. I'm not sure they will take off. I can never find enough merchants who take them, so I don't look for those terminals. 

It's the same with mobile payment types like Samsung pay or Chase pay. I think those types of payment options will go belly up.

Message 77 of 83
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

because i envision a process where the card doesn't have to make contact with the card processor, but you actually have to tap it...

Yes  "tap and pay" is misleading. It's just easier to understand for most people. I actually hover my cards over the terminals sliding left or right, without any tapping motion or making contact with it because I want to keep my cards "clean".

Message 78 of 83
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got one from Chase 2 days ago. I'm not sure they will take off. I can never find enough merchants who take them, so I don't look for those terminals. 

It's the same with mobile payment types like Samsung pay or Chase pay. I think those types of payment options will go belly up.

I will give it time. Even EMV did not happen overnight. The problen is mostly bigger chains like the kroger group who is delaying their adaption rate. I actually find contactless terminals in much smaller merchants that don't even accept AMEX. I think they are just factoring cost of replacing all of them. Costco for example, is still rolling it out.

Message 79 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Likely as terminals get replaced in the future, tapping will become more prominent.  Tapping also takes 15-30 seconds out of the transaction - not a big deal for us, but it is potentially huge for the merchant.

I still don't understand why dining restaurants can't get a handheld terminal that they can bring to the table to settle the bill and print the receipt.  Except for maybe cost of the handheld.

3 years ago while in central Europe, just about every place I visited was tappable.  Some merchants kept taking my non-tappable card (which, after replacement, is still non-tappable) and slapping their terminal with it, only to realize it was chip only.  I can only guess since then that even more places are tappable.

Message 80 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.