cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conundrum HELP- Seek New High CL Card? Or Not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conundrum HELP- Seek New High CL Card? Or Not?

Currently these are my cards

NFCU - CC- CL 19,200

USAA  - CC - CL 10,500

Barclay Ring CC - 7500

= CL total $37,200

Each card is appears to bureaus at about 28% usage - (Slightly over $10k) 

I transfer about $3,500 between the accounts so it never ends up on the statements and thus--->>> the Bureaus see only 28$ utilization ratio for all CCs (rather than my TRUE 38% usage) - I did this because going above 30% dropped my score 25-32 points, but reverses the moment I go back below 30% use. 

In reality, I actually have about $14k of CC debt, despite bureaus only seeing 10k$. ----To solve this hide-my-utl%-from-bureaus issue, I was considering opening up a new CC line- and I have been searching these forum for hours to see if there was a card with a classically high inital CL amount. (BoA, NFCU, Chase, Citi seem to be good options?).      

****If I apply for a new CC ----> Is it more likely I will get a low CL cuz I already have almost 40k CL total? Will they see it as a liability or as reliability/asset?

****Is it better to get another personal loan over a CC, to solve this issue ? 

25-30k in STUDENT LOANS (all deferred) & two new small <$2k student loans were opened in summer 2015. 

Inquires in last 24 Mo: I have about 9 inquires within the last 24 months.

4 were seperate hard auto-loan inquiries this year.

One inquiry expires May 2016. 

One of these inquiries was used to finance a Car for $11k.

Finaical advisors say to avoid more inquires given I already have 9 inquires on record with 4 new accounts in last 9 months.

-------------(new accouts are 2 new student loans, and 1 personal loan ($3k with 1,800 remaining now), and 1 auto loan ($11,200 with 10,500 remaining). 

Possible New Accounts:

I currently have a loan approved through USAA for a second car loan by mid december 2015. Should I open a credit Card First since this loan is approved?

I am active Duty, and my income is directly deposited into Navy FED CU- > should I get a CC with them since they see my income and history?

My Credit score is about 717 when I last Checked, but previously it fluctuated for two years between 720-755 (Myfico 8). 

I have read the forums for hours, days, and decided I might as well log in and finally post something here. 

THanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Conundrum HELP- Seek New High CL Card? Or Not?

Why not just pay your $14K debt down instead of shifting it around between the 3 accounts?  In essence, manipulating the utilization by shifting balances around may provide a temporary intangible value from showing 28% vs. 38%, but in all reality, the debt is still there.  Do you have a long term plan to retire those balances? 

Consolidating said balances into one card with competitive terms (i.e. 0% BT APR @ 18 months - if approved) would provide relief but would not solve the problem if you rack up more debt.

Message 2 of 3
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Conundrum HELP- Seek New High CL Card? Or Not?

Applying for a new card is IMO a bandaid solution and not going to really help you. Dont apply for anything and as finstar said stop shuffling the debt around. Make a plan to pay it off, and stick to it. Then you can worry about opening new cards. People get caught up in BT offers sometimes and forget that they are merely moving debt around. It may help util percentage but the debt is still there. Focus on the problem, and not just providing a bandaid for it. Good luck
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.