Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversation with CU..

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Conversation with CU..

Okay, so I decided to talk to Freedom CU again and this is how the end of our conversation went..

Representative: but its not based on your credit history 
Representative: the student visa
Me: The student isn't based on credit history? What do you guys base your decision off?
Representative: you just have to meet the requirements to qualify: full time, income and be 18 or older. No credit history  needed 
Me: So you're saying it's an automatic approval as long I'm full time, 18+, and have a source of income?
Representative: that is right
Representative: they will look at your debt to income ratio typically so as long as you can afford the min payment which is typical 25 you would be fine

Does this even sound right to you guys? I mean I don't think she'd intentionally lie, but for some reason I find it hard to believe that that you're guaranteed to be approved as long as you meet those criteria.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Conversation with CU..

sounds fine to me, when I turned 18 all you had to do was have a pulse, of course that was when Clinton was in office and the economy was FANTASTIC! I got $4,000 at 18 years old from the first application AHHH Nextcard where art thou?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 31
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

sounds fine to me, when I turned 18 all you had to do was have a pulse, of course that was when Clinton was in office and the economy was FANTASTIC! I got $4,000 at 18 years old from the first application AHHH Nextcard where art thou?

You needed a PULSE?  Wow, you must have been applying to conservative lenders!  SSN, or something sort of like 5-12 digits was enough for most.

Message 3 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

HAHA, I actually am not sure I have really heard anyone say the name in like 9 years, usually people just look at me like huh!

I LOVED that card... it was so much fun to be able to choose 1 out of 3 cards when you applied.  I don't know about anyone else but who is going to pass up a higher credit line just by doing a little Balance Transfer? NOT ME!!

I have said many times I would love to take a few of the things that card and company offered back when I feel online managing was just starting to be done and come out with a new card program like it... if I just knew how to start a bank? I mean the social lending go through a bank that seemed to have either been started or pulled to forefront just for those types of loans and really the bank just backs for FDIC no? the money is given by people not an actual bank....

Message 4 of 31
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

Okay, so I decided to talk to Freedom CU again and this is how the end of our conversation went..

Me: The student isn't based on credit history? What do you guys base your decision off?
Representative: you just have to meet the requirements to qualify: full time, income and be 18 or older. No credit history  needed 
Me: So you're saying it's an automatic approval as long I'm full time, 18+, and have a source of income?
Representative: they will look at your debt to income ratio typically so as long as you can afford the min payment which is typical 25 you would be fine

Does this even sound right to you guys? I mean I don't think she'd intentionally lie, but for some reason I find it hard to believe that that you're guaranteed to be approved as long as you meet those criteria.

Must be true.  This is what it says on their website...

With our Visa Student Credit Card, you can establish and maintain credit with the option to simply wave your Card to pay. The advanced payWave technology is free and accepted by many merchants. This Card also offers a $1,000 credit limit, no credit history requirement and a low 11.9% APR.* Plus, one of this Card's many benefits includes $250,000 Travel and Emergency Assistance.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 31
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@MsLadyRover wrote:

@WallyxD wrote:

With our Visa Student Credit Card, you can establish and maintain credit with the option to simply wave your Card to pay. The advanced payWave technology is free and accepted by many merchants. This Card also offers a $1,000 credit limit, no credit history requirement and a low 11.9% APR.* Plus, one of this Card's many benefits includes $250,000 Travel and Emergency Assistance.

I just applied and it said I was preliminarily approved, and it will go to underwriting for final review. I did get the confirmation email for this, and it says Loan Status: Approved, so I wonder if that means that I definitely got it. It says a loan officer will contact you tomorrow!

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 6 of 31
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@MsLadyRover wrote:

@WallyxD wrote:

I just applied and it said I was preliminarily approved, and it will go to underwriting for final review. I did get the confirmation email for this, and it says Loan Status: Approved, so I wonder if that means that I definitely got it. It says a loan officer will contact you tomorrow!

You applied for the student visa? How long were you a member before you applied? I applied for membership on Friday, so the CSR told me to give them a call on Monday if I wanted to know the status of my membership application. If my membership app is approved, and there is no reason it shouldn't be, I'll apply for the student visa and let you guys know what happens. Let us know what the loan officer says when they call you tomorrow? Smiley Happy

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 7 of 31
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@MsLadyRover wrote:

@WallyxD wrote:

You applied for the student visa? How long were you a member before you applied? I applied for membership on Friday, so the CSR told me to give them a call on Monday if I wanted to know the status of my membership application. If my membership app is approved, and there is no reason it shouldn't be, I'll apply for the student visa and let you guys know what happens. Let us know what the loan officer says when they call you tomorrow? Smiley Happy

I am not a member, I applied by using my SS#

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 8 of 31
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

@ ilovelisa - What's your longest history and AAoA? Which bureau did the HP hit you on?

@OP - What's your AAoA and your longest history?

If you dont mind me asking, I have the trigger finger ready. God, I can't help myself. Lol.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 9 of 31
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@WarJar101 wrote:

@ ilovelisa - What's your longest history and AAoA? Which bureau did the HP hit you on?

@OP - What's your AAoA and your longest history?

If you dont mind me asking, I have the trigger finger ready. God, I can't help myself. Lol.

My oldest account is from October 2011, but my AAoA is 5 months. I don't know which bureau it hit, and i'm not sure if they will pull my credit, since it says not based on credit history.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.