cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert BoA Travel Rewards VS to a second Cash Rewards card, or keep as-is?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Convert BoA Travel Rewards VS to a second Cash Rewards card, or keep as-is?

Advice question please for forum members:  I was thinking about possibly trying to request a conversion of my current BoA Travel Rewards VS card into a second Cash Rewards card, so that I could have the benefit of another BoA card with a selectable 3% category.  The only disadvantage that I could see happening as a result of a potential conversion is that my BoA TR card is also one of the few NPSL VS cards left in today's environment that retains the feature of being able to exceed my CL without any penalty, as long as I pay the exceeded amount over the CL by the statement due date.  (Most modern cards, including the Cash Rewards card, have eliminated the NPSL option from the VS and WMC lineup of features, afaik?)  Any thoughts or suggestions please, as to which feature would be the most valuable to keep?  Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Convert BoA Travel Rewards VS to a second Cash Rewards card, or keep as-is?

You have plenty of higher-limit revolvers. I've only used the soft CL with Amex BBP and can't speak to BofA practices.

Without taking rewards, protections, APRs, or FTFs into consideration...it might be easier to just use a higher-limit card than to hope a soft CL will prove flexible enough.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 5
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

Do you see yourself exceeding the 17.6k limit frequently? If you feel that the NPSL quirk is a more valuable feature in the long run then I'd recommend keeping the travel rewards as is and just apping for a new cash rewards. The CR does have the 3% vs the 1.5% for TR but that's capped at 2500 so that'll be another thing to think about.

As someone who has PCd from TR to CR I personally found it more rewarding simply because I never really traveled much so the increase in cash back was nice. Also any remaining points from TR get converted to the cash equivalent if you PC the account; at least it was for me.

Message 3 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

While NPSL may be good in theory, do you ever actually need the feature? If you truthfully use it it could be worth keeping, but if it's just something that's nice to have in your mind but never actually useful, I would PC to the Cash card if that's going to benefit you more rewards wise.

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I would not PC it at all but app for a new cash rewards maybe the WWF or MLB versions and collect the SUB, you can move CL around with BoA if needed.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.