Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting 0 BT Offers To Cash?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting 0 BT Offers To Cash?

How to do this since there's no paper check included? Found an old comment (2017) on DoC about using Cap1 0 BT fee/purchase APR offer, requesting check, then using 0%/0 BT card to transfer from Cap1 card. In theory, according to the OP, since it received purchase APR, no interest is charged since grace period applies if PIF. Does this work? Any other methods or ideas I'm missing? Edit: clarified wording
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Converting 0 BT Offers To Cash?

It can vary depending on card issuers. At least Citi allows me to do a balance transfer online and they give the option to deposit the funds into my checking account and there is no paper check involved. Of course when you know your account has a balance transfer offer, you can call in and ask if they provide paper checks, though whether they will send them is a question.

I am not sure about the story of the OP there, but I believe they did NOT get a grace period. If you have 0% APR balance transfer then interest should be applicable but will calculate as the current BT balance multiplied by daily interest rate which is 0%. If you don't pay the balance in full, you lose your purchase grace period, which is not a problem if the purchase part of your balance is 0. Then if you make purchases, interest will be added because 1) purchase APR is not zero, and 2) no grace period on purchases. But the BT part of balance will not add interest. Maybe his purchase and BT are both at 0% APR, but there is still no grace period if the balance is not paid in full. You may want to link the actual comment so we get a better idea what exactly it is.
Message 2 of 21
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

FWIW, I just got BT checks for my Cap1 account in the mail the other day

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 3 of 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Citi and Discover will let you do "balance transfers" directly into your checking account.

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Plyrstar93 according to the OP there is an option to request the BT amount as "check" although more likely DD by now. Can confirm according to Cap1 CSR that BT's on Platinum receive purchase APR. So by this logic, as long as you PIF your statement balance, no interest is charged, correct?
Message 5 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

A CU card with 0 fees for cash advances is excellent for this. Have the money sent to your CU card when it arrives cash advance it to checking.

Message 6 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Coti, Boa, Disco straight to checkingSmiley Happy

Though with Boa, apr is higher if you use this methodSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have thought that $0/0% offers are fenced off from being sent to checking. I know NFCU specifically exempts using BT checks for their promo APR offers and charges regular purchase APR instead. Now one of them, 0% or $0 yeah but not both. Who offers those? I may have to get another card. 😂 

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Saeren take your pickSmiley Happy Comenity sends mailers for AKC and Sportsman's Guide, Arvest, Amex ED, Chase Slate, Bank Americard, Edward Jones, RBFCU, ESLFCU, ETFCU, Disco offers IT mailers time to time (DW got one) Union Bank, Advancial FCU, First Tech FCU, Cap1 Platinum. Proly some I missed.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Saeren take your pickSmiley Happy Comenity sends mailers for AKC and Sportsman's Guide, Arvest, Amex ED, Chase Slate, Bank Americard, Edward Jones, RBFCU, ESLFCU, ETFCU, Disco offers IT mailers time to time (DW got one) Union Bank, Advancial FCU, First Tech FCU, Cap1 Platinum. Proly some I missed.

Those aren’t $0 fee AND 0% APR. They’re usually one or the other but not both when you add the additional qualifier to be able to take a BT check or deposit and still get $0/0%. 

I thought thats what you were talking about?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.