Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting 2 Capitol 1 quicksilvers to 1

tag
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

Converting 2 Capitol 1 quicksilvers to 1

Have 2 quicksilvers quicksilver 1 and a quicksilver should I combine them to just the quicksilver and doing so will it hurt me in any way? Both cards are 3 yrs old the quicksilver is a upgrade from platinum and is my oldest account same account number
2wheel
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Converting 2 Capitol 1 quicksilvers to 1

Only negative that comes to mind is losing that one "pays as agreed" payment history, but if your payment history is solid then saving $39 would be worth it. Plus, if combing puts the QS over $5k it may make it eligible for WMC or VS status in a few months via their upgrade link
Message 2 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Your closed card will hopefully stay on your report for 10 years. At that point, any change in AAoA (average age of accounts) due to it dropping should be irrelevant. Do the combination.

Message 3 of 4
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

The closed account will stay on your report for 10 years.  It doesn't drop off in the conversion/consolidation.  

The only bad thing that happens is a devil loses its pitchfork, I mean CapOne loses its power over you on the lesser card.

Yeah you should never close cards if you can avoid it, but it does feel so nice to rid yourself of this burden.  You might be able to get them to remove the AF, they will call it an upgrade to the QS card, but it really is just a removal of the AF.  If you can accomplish this then I would say don't close it, just put it in your sock drawer.  If you can't just close through combining the limits and remember they weren't as helpful as they could have been and move on to other banks.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.