Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting an Authorized User Credit Card to Primary

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting an Authorized User Credit Card to Primary

Hello everyone,

I started building my credit with one of my parents as an authorized user to my parents AmEx Gold credit card about 10 years ago. That's my account with the longest credit history. 

My parents now are thinking of closing that account, which presumably would take a hit on my credit score. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to retain the credit history and spin off or convert my authorized user status to primary user?

I think I have decent chances of approval with scores ~750, and holding other credit cards (CSR, AppleGS)...

Thanks for the advice!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Converting an Authorized User Credit Card to Primary

That is not a thing

You will still retain the account history/age for 10 yrs after it's closed, so it's not much of an issue

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a very good question which I'd like to know the answer to, as well. I have not yet been in such a situation or need, but I can foresee the need and see the value in wanting to do so. 

From your FICO score, it sounds like you would be a great positioning for AmEx to offer you the best terms (interest rate, and a favorable SL) on any product they advertise to the public. 

Message 3 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You cannot take ownership of the account.

Some lenders remove AU accounts from CR after primary card holder closes it, others let them stay as closed accounts. 

If you want this card, you would need to apply for it yourself. 

Message 4 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You can't transfer the history because it's not your history, it's your parent's history. Doesn't matter if you were the one spending and paying. You were never responsible for the balance.

Message 5 of 15
blindambition
Senior Contributor

You should call. I believe it would be a whole new account. The only time I've seen that is when the primary is deceased. Sometimes a lender gives AU a chance to takeover the account. Not all lenders do that.

Message 6 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

You should call. I believe it would be a whole new account. The only time I've seen that is when the primary is deceased. Sometimes a lender gives AU a chance to takeover the account. Not all lenders do that.

This is the only instance I can think of as well where the authorized user can assume control of the account. Short of that, the person has to apply for their own account. A few lenders that do it are Discover and AMEX that I know of

Message 7 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  looks like Amex has done this before, do maybe asking them if you could "take over" instead of parents closing the account isn't such a bad idea.

They may need to pull your credit, but that would be a very small price to pay 

Message 8 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

This is the only instance I can think of as well where the authorized user can assume control of the account. Short of that, the person has to apply for their own account. A few lenders that do it are Discover and AMEX that I know of

Even then, there are still hurdles like credit check, submitting death certificate, etc.

Message 9 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

Even then, there are still hurdles like credit check, submitting death certificate, etc.

At least 12-13 years ago when I helped someone with assuming control of their dad's account after he passed away it wasn't as convoluted as I expected it to be but things may have changed since then. But it is possible under those extenuating circumstances, anything else and you may be looking at a hailmary. It doesn't hurt to ask at the very least

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.