Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco AMEX - what's the big deal?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Costco AMEX - what's the big deal?

@CribDuchess wrote:

I guess I'm about to find out what the big deal is!  I've received 2 emails from Costco in the past 2 months that promoted the Amex Costco TE card.  In yesterday's email, they offered $50 for spending $500 in the first 90 days.  I found myself clicking the "Apply" button within the email last night.  I was instantly approved (and no, I'm not talking about getting the 7-10 day message and then checking the app status and seeing "approved").  I submitted the app and the next screen I saw contained the words "congratulations" and "approved."  Not used to seeing that from Amex!

The only thing this app cost me was a HP on Experian (I now have 3 HPs on Experian, 2 of them are from Amex).  The 3% cash back on gas is what really motivated me....well, that and the 23 years of backdating.  My new car requires premium unleaded, so I try to fill up at my local Costco and the 3% cash back will be a nice benefit.

Does anyone know if the 2% on dining only applies to dine-in restaurants?  Or does it also apply to fast food/take out?

It's usually based on how the food establishment codes their stuff. Usually it will count as a restaurant.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 21 of 25
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

That may be just for the business cards. I'll check and report back. Not trying to give any misinformation.
Message 22 of 25
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

My mistake, the new cap was recently changed for the OPEN cards only..

4% cash back on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, including at Costco, for purchases up to $7,000 per year (1% thereafter)

Looks like the personal card is indeed $4000 annually. 

Message 23 of 25
bluewillow
New Contributor

I am toying with the idea of renewing my Costco membership, is the Costco Amex the ONLY cc they accept or will my USAA Amex work? I do not need to open anymore cc's.

Message 24 of 25
djrez4
Established Contributor

Costco accepts any Amex.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.