Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco True Earnings---Chances?

tag
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Costco True Earnings---Chances?

My AAOA is about a year.. so I don't know if this even qualifies for American Express. I am not interested in applying soon, especially since I want to garden for a bit longer. My housemates and I spend a good amount as a house each year at Costco, so I was looking into this option. Plus, their reward programs are great for gas 3%.

My stats are below in my signature. Again, I am not interested in applying soon, but I would like some opinions regarding when I should apply for it. My last card, which was the Chase Freedom Visa, was approved in March. I pay in full each month. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Costco True Earnings---Chances?

Assuming you have no derogs on file (lates, collections, etc) and an insane number of inquiries, your chances should be very good.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Thanks! 

• No derogs
  • No excessive inquiries

I plan to apply Dec 2013 or Jan 2014. 

Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

If you utilization is low, you could just go for it right now. I don't see why you will be declined Smiley Tongue

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Don't wait till January, do it in the first half of December want to lock in your 2013 membership date, for maximum back dating goodness on cards after the first. You are probably good to go now, as you have at least one card with 1yr of Age, and no derogs. Or if you want to play it safe go for AMEX PRG with AF waived for the first year. May give you more flexibility in your finances, and makes your AP for the Revolver a SP if not approved.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 7
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@kevinnguyen530 wrote:

Thanks! 

• No derogs
  • No excessive inquiries

I plan to apply Dec 2013 or Jan 2014. 

if i were you id app in dec, too lock in the backdate year for 2013, im apping for this card jan 1'st to get the backdated too jan 12'

which for me doesnt really do much too my aaoa, will be around 21 months (as long as i dont open any other accounts) 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 7
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Hi All,

Thank you for your helpful insights and suggestions. I have two more questions:

• Is it typically hard to get, or easy to get the Costco AMEX version compared to a Capitol One, Discover, or Chase Freedom?
  • What do you mean by "backdating"? 
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.