Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco True Earnings card & "authorized users"

tag
jrdenver
Established Member

Costco True Earnings card & "authorized users"

Wife and I just signed up with Costco.  She wanted the american express because of the cash back (and the fact that she doesn't have an Amex).  She has excellent credit.

She put me down for the additional card.  (I hit a bump in the road, and have a BK 5 years ago as a result).

a)  Do they pull my credit as well (it DID require my SSN), or just hers?

b)  Is this an "authorized user," or a "Joint account?"

I would hate to see her card declined because of my "bump in the road."

Message Edited by jrdenver on 12-10-2009 03:36 PM
Message Edited by jrdenver on 12-10-2009 03:36 PM

TransUnion 696 4/15/2010
Equifax 683 4/15/2010

TransUnion 675 8/30/2010
Equifax 688 8/30/2010

Still trying to get my scores up =\ Opening new trades in the last 12 months didn't help. =(
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costco True Earnings card & "authorized users"

authorized....i was an AU on one.....they never pulled my credit but they pulled A LOT of soft inquiries....then they requested the 4506-T FORM and we closed the account...be careful how you treat the card for the first few months.
Message 2 of 10
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Hi

What is a 4506-T again?

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

Hmm.  I don't think they pull your credit - but they will report on you, that's the reason for your SSN. 

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex uses AU social to check Amex system to make sure you have never did them wrong, if you clear the Amex system then you will get a card and it will report to your credit as AU
Message 5 of 10
jrdenver
Established Member

Thanks!

We both got cards.  The limit is about 20% of her highest CC, and is less than we spend monthly.  Is it even possible to ask for recon on the limit, or do we need to wait 6mo first?  With the rewards, we were considering making this our primary card, but we don't want to exceed 30% of the limit, so we can't reasonably do that (without paying weekly) with this limit.

TransUnion 696 4/15/2010
Equifax 683 4/15/2010

TransUnion 675 8/30/2010
Equifax 688 8/30/2010

Still trying to get my scores up =\ Opening new trades in the last 12 months didn't help. =(
Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't know, never hurts to ask I guess, but the good news is, if you use it for 6 months and PIF and they start liking you, you can ask for 3x current CL CLI. so it can grow very fast
Message 7 of 10
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@jrdenver wrote:

Thanks!

We both got cards.  The limit is about 20% of her highest CC, and is less than we spend monthly.  Is it even possible to ask for recon on the limit, or do we need to wait 6mo first?  With the rewards, we were considering making this our primary card, but we don't want to exceed 30% of the limit, so we can't reasonably do that (without paying weekly) with this limit.

I would use it as you want and pay the card as often as needed to keep the utilization below 50% or so. After a couple months of this you can call up and say that you would like this to be your main card but the limit is too low. You might ask if they could match your highest limit card. 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 8 of 10
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@jrdenver wrote:

Thanks!

Our first AmEx is the Delta SkyMiles. AmEx started us off with only $2k. We used it. Paid it off. Did it again...a few times each month. You don't need to worry about holding your usage to 30% of the limit if you are going to pay it before the statement cuts. Only worry about a limit of what actually shows on the statement.

We didn't wait 6 mos to ask for a CLI. We waited 4 mos, and then they gave us a 3x CLI to $6k. We're glad we had the patience in the beginning to make it work. You can make it work with just a bit of inconvenience in the beginning.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scuba wrote:

Hi

What is a 4506-T again?

Thanks

That's the tax return transcript request form. They use it to look at salaries and such.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.