cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco -two Citi Visa's on one membership?

tag
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

Costco -two Citi Visa's on one membership?

trying to think how to best word this question...

[x] Wife and I pretty much keep individual finances.

[x] Our Executive Costco Membership, she is the primary, I have a Costco membership card in my name, on her account.  I use my various VIsa cards when I purchase things at Costco.

[x] She has long standing Citi Costco Visa

[x] I'm considering getting the Citi Costco Visa (mainly for the 4% on gas that I'm currently missing out on), but not sure if I can without being forced to get my own costco membership.   

Probably a more simple way to ask, but I'm kinda getting conflicting half answers.   Any qualified wisdom appreciated.   TIA

||
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Costco -two Citi Visa's on one membership?

Yes. You can get your own card using the membership you already share. When you fill out the app, it’ll just ask for your membership number, so you use the one you’re the household member on.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant tell but looks like you may have the PenFed Plat card, its 5% for fuel and no limit, unlike 4% and a cap on the Citi Costco card.

Message 3 of 10
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@imaximous wrote:
Yes. You can get your own card using the membership you already share. When you fill out the app, it’ll just ask for your membership number, so you use the one you’re the household member on.

GREAT news.  Appreciative.

========

@Anonymous wrote:

I cant tell but looks like you may have the PenFed Plat card, its 5% for fuel and no limit, unlike 4% and a cap on the Citi Costco card.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe the PenFed Plat gives 5% for fuel at Costco or other warehouse places.   If I'm wrong, then your idea is a platinum idea!!!   BTW I have the Pathfinder (not platinum), but would get the Platinum if it gets 5% gas at Costco.

||
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the same but haven't seen any exclusions yet

today I'm actually looking at changing an existing Citi to a Costco for this reason (fuel) and was looking at my other card benefits.  Some of the PenFed cards have this exclusion for groceries (and specify Walmart and Target) but I can't find any exclusions on the Pen Platinum 

Message 5 of 10
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

For the consumer Costco memberships (i.e. not Business), the primary (your wife) and the household (you) have separate membership numbers. You have your own Costco membership (you create your own costco.com account), technically, and this should make you eligible for your own application.

You each would have your own rewards from Citi (February), but only your wife will get the reward from Costco for the executive membership (pre-anniversary).

Message 6 of 10
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

For the consumer Costco memberships (i.e. not Business), the primary (your wife) and the household (you) have separate membership numbers. You have your own Costco membership (you create your own costco.com account), technically, and this should make you eligible for your own application.

You each would have your own rewards from Citi (February), but only your wife will get the reward from Costco for the executive membership (pre-anniversary).

Beautiful info and a perfect case scenario.  I didn't realize with my "household" number is different and such can be used as a seperate costco.com account etc (we've been using just hers).   As I understand your answer, all Costco awards will role up to my wife (yep they currently do and will continue to)  ..but if I get my own Citi Costco, the rewards for each of our respective credit cards will go to the cardholder.    Ideal!

We've been wasting pennies by me using various cards and not getting the citi spiff.     (she's offered to make me AU on her account, but I'm too proud LOL).    Maybe I next need to look at Amazon spend and see if we can save a few pennies there too, similar we're piggybacking on one PRIME membership.     

THANKS SO MUCH for your quality answer.

||
Message 7 of 10
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

*Thanks to the advice on previous posts.

*Stopped by my local Costco tonight and applied using my Costco Exec household membership.   They gave piece of paper with barcode as temporary Citi Card to use (at Costco only) until new card arrives in the mail.   ..That's cool as I'll make my first purchase a set of tires in the next couple days, ...as tire sale ends end of month.

*SL = 11.5K  certainly not high compare to most of my others, but it's my first relationship with Citi and I'll only be using this for gas and some mild Costco purchases.  Of course PIF, so the current line it's much more than adequate.   Probably explore CLI's via soft pull occassionally, i believe 6mos intervals ... just for fun and see what kind of relationship we have.

*Glad to be establishing a relationship with Citi, this card will get a few gas swipes each month.  Good perks for a no AF card it seems.

Thanks again for the wisdom, this site is very helpful and valuable.

||
Message 8 of 10
minski
Established Contributor

Thank you for asking this question. My father, who is primary on the Costco membership, found out about the card today from my sister, who is secondary. He wanted it. Based on the replies, I was able to confidently say that they could have their own Costco credit cards. I got my father's Thank You Preferred card PC'ed to the Costco card in hopes of retaining the history (pretty sure this is many years old; was originally a Diamond before Citi auto-PC'ed it to TYP).
Message 9 of 10
FICOlearner123
Regular Contributor

This is great info, I had always been under the impression that there can only be one citi credit card per membership

Goal Cards
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.