cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I be denied for Barclaycard Rewards card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could I be denied for Barclaycard Rewards card?

My credit score is a 756 average and I am wanting to apply for the Barclaycard Rewards card. I have a Credit Karma account, and I do realize that information there isn't altogether accurate, but they have a gauge to determine your likelihood of being approved for particular credit cards. Although my credit score is rather decent, it is telling me my odds of being approved are Poor. Why would this be? Is my credit score too high for that card? Is that possible?

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Could I be denied for Barclaycard Rewards card?

Well shouldn't rely on just score, if you have a decent profile then i see no issue
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I think it's a bit odd. For cards that are in the "excellent credit" category, they give me an approval likelihood of "Very Good" , yet on the Barclaycard deemed for those with "Fair" credit, I am given a "Poor" chance.  I'm confused.

Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I think it's a bit odd. For cards that are in the "excellent credit" category, they give me an approval likelihood of "Very Good" , yet on the Barclaycard deemed for those with "Fair" credit, I am given a "Poor" chance.  I'm confused.

I did notice the same thing.  The higher your score goes on their site, the very few "excellent credit" cards all say "very good" for approval.  The others in a lower category will say "good" or worse.  I suppose they want you to app for the better card for some reason?

Message 4 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

After looking through all the available rewards cards, I decided that Groceries, Gas, and Utilities were pretty much my largest sum of purchases. So at 2% for all those categories I thought this card would be more beneficial for my needs than a Quicksilver 1.5% as my everyday rewards card. But now I'm a little gunshy to try to apply. Does excellent credit hurt your approval chances for lower tier cards?

Message 5 of 40
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After looking through all the available rewards cards, I decided that Groceries, Gas, and Utilities were pretty much my largest sum of purchases. So at 2% for all those categories I thought this card would be more beneficial for my needs than a Quicksilver 1.5% as my everyday rewards card. But now I'm a little gunshy to try to apply. Does excellent credit hurt your approval chances for lower tier cards?

No, if anything it should(emphasis on should, but obviously other factors come in) mean your going to get a higher starting line if you have excellent credit and apply for a lower tier card. CK like other websites that advertise cards make a commision from the lender if you apply through their website. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, so CK is assuming that I would apply through their site and wouldn't make as much commission from me applying for that particular card. So they try to discourage us from lower tier cards. Makes sense I guess. As far as credit line, I'm certain I would get a fairly decent starting line, and they do a credit line increase after 5 months anyway. I am just more concerned about being denied with a hard inquiry for a card I should easily qualify for.

Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No. Not at all.  Many have that card.  Me included. Smiley Wink  You should app for the cards you feel are beneficial to you.  I always do my research before app'ing.  If I don't need it or will not use it, then there's no need to apply.  

Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandi, I think that's my problem. I have done extensive research trying to choose the right card(s) for me, and I think maybe I'm just digging a little TOO deep and making things more complicated for myself. I simply want (1 everyday rewards card) and (1 rotating category card) for the majority of my needs. But with all the factors involved it gets a bit convoluted. I'm simply not a 12 credit card kinda guy....I just need a couple to take advantage of cashback for my normal spending.

Message 9 of 40
nma851
Regular Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, if anything it should(emphasis on should, but obviously other factors come in) mean your going to get a higher starting line if you have excellent credit and apply for a lower tier card. CK like other websites that advertise cards make a commision from the lender if you apply through their website. 

I'm with Skye on this one Smiley Happy.  Pay NO attention to the CK FAKO, only your real FICOs.  I'll tell you from my experiences - I'd take Barclay over QS anyday.  Back THEN, I wouldn't have thought about the "Excellent" category or even the QS One for the matter.  Having both, I barely use the QS and have BC Rewards as primary, netting about $50-75/month cash back.  That 2% - you CANNOT go wrong for your groceries/utilities.  That is where I get the bulk of my points - while ALSO having a very nice CL. 

I was a "Very Good" candidate for a "Credit One" account but "Fair" for Discover IT which I've had - and is at $17K.  Look at my FICOS.....  I digress LOLOL Smiley Happy  Kinda is my "comic relief" whenever they "recommend" as they do.  Yeah I'll be jumping on that Credit ONe app RIGHT away HAHAHAHAHA!

App'd for BC Rewards for excellent, started me out at (I think) $3K or $4K, have had it for 18 months, and I'm up to $11K.  Up until this month, they were my highest until my recent EO interatction w/Cap One to raise my QS Visa Siggy.  Unreal how that place does NOT want to budge unless you go through the EO route - even with my scores (now, not then LOL).  We shouldn't have to fight like that JUST for a simple CLI.  Barclay - you do them right, they'll hand it out either on their own or with an HP.  Wait about 4-6 months for some auto-luv, but if you cannot wait or get none, and are willing to take the HP, you'll get the CLI w/Barclay.  That is, all things considered & your profile supporting it even with your FICOs (no 20+ inquires, e.g.).

Kinda funny how Cap One had some booth at Pride this year too.  So I started showing folks my "interactions" about gtting a CLI out of Cap One.  One of em said she had their card for 3 years & nothing, she wanted to try now, I told her she & her partner would be hospitalized from Sunburn from waiting with the Cap One EO JUST for getting the CLI request put in.  Go figure, barely anyone had a thing to do with the Cap One booth after this "Release of Info" Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Anyway, the nitty gritty is Barclay will take care of you, Cap One will turn into a hassle unless you are OK with never getting a CLI unless/until you've taken vacation time to handle the requests.  BC Rewards has paid back QUITE a bit, running all my utilities (and yes, cable, internet, etc. counts) is "paying" my electric bill due to the cash-backs, and they've consistently increased me.  Interest wise, they've gone down down and down into (I believe) either 14 or 16%, but that is moot for me since I PIF each STMT.  QS is a single-digit APR IIRC, but - again, it's no comparison to BC.  I don't have to EVER worry about my UT% w/BC unlike the QS (if it was not for the EO upping my CL that is).  

Hope this helps Smiley Happy  Take it easy!

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.