cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone please tell me if I have this correct?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Could someone please tell me if I have this correct?

If you have no balance on the cc, you will not have interest charged unless we are talking about a cc with no grace period. For example, X cc has a zero balance, you decide to charge $200 for airline tickets. If you let the $200 report as a balance on your statement AND only pay $100 you will be charged interest. Same scenario but this time you PIF - no interest.

Anytime you use your cc their is a minimum payment due. I'm not sure what you mean by 'wouldn't I have to try to charge it all to avoid the minimum payments?'
If you use the cc and do not PIF, you are req to pay the minimum pyt in order to keep the account in good standing and avoid late fees.

Are you talking about a cc with no grace period?
Message 11 of 52
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by 'wouldn't I have to try to charge it all to avoid the minimum payments?'

The lady told me that I have minimum payments every month whether or not I buy anything. Perhaps I'll post some numbers so I won't sound so confusing (I'm confused enough). 

Balance-$299.72

Available credit- $200.28

Payment due- 7/4/2013

I've already paid it and I always pay before the due date, however, I always have to pay an interest charge. I figured as long as I pay the bill on time, I wouldn't have an interest charge, but that's not the case. Is having the $299.72 balance mean that I will have interest charge and a minimum payment no matter what? Perhaps that's the question I needed to have asked. Thanks for all the help from you all so far. 

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 12 of 52
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@Steelersboy wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'wouldn't I have to try to charge it all to avoid the minimum payments?'

The lady told me that I have minimum payments every month whether or not I buy anything. Perhaps I'll post some numbers so I won't sound so confusing (I'm confused enough). 

Balance-$299.72

Available credit- $200.28

Payment due- 7/4/2013

I've already paid it and I always pay before the due date, however, I always have to pay an interest charge. I figured as long as I pay the bill on time, I wouldn't have an interest charge, but that's not the case. Is having the $299.72 balance mean that I will have interest charge and a minimum payment no matter what? Perhaps that's the question I needed to have asked. Thanks for all the help from you all so far. 

If you don't pay the entire balance ($299.72) by the next statement date, there will be interest charged on the account.  It varies depending on the account terms; rate, how its calculated, etc.

You have a minimum payment due every billing period only if there is a balance.  If you don't charge anything, nor do you have a balance from the previous cycle, there will be $0 minimum payment.

You're worrying way too much about all of this.  I would suggest getting your own card, maybe a secured card since you don't already have one of your own; especially if you aren't planning on getting a mortgage until next summer.  If you do go the secured route, find one that offers conversion to a unsecured account after so much time of good ownership.  Having your own credit card on your credit reports would look better and any decrease in score caused by app'ing and having a new account will have gone away by then and maybe even boosted your score as long as you use it responsibly, keep utilization down below 10-15%, etc.

Once you have your own account these questions should become more clear as you become accustomed to how the account works.  Remember:  Keep the account balance less than 15%, pay in full every month when the statement closes and you will never have to worry about a minimum payment or accrued interest.

Message 13 of 52
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

If you do not pay in full before the end of the grace period, then you will have interest charges. The way those charges are calculated vary by lender, but often it is by average daily balance method.

Paying ONLY the minimum balance will mean you will ALWAYS have interest charges. You need to pay more to eliminate interest.

ETA: fittiger beat me to it. +1 to that advice - your credit will improve with another account of your own. The other user on that card appears to be carrying a balance, which is causing interest to accrue for both of you.

But you should start a new thread with information on your credit profile to see what kind of card the forums recommend. Just remember to listen for a number of responses, and don't rush into anything. Sometimes it takes a full day for posters to notice and reply to a post.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 14 of 52
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

I would suggest getting your own card, maybe a secured card since you don't already have one of your own; especially if you aren't planning on getting a mortgage until next summer.  If you do go the secured route, find one that offers conversion to a unsecured account after so much time of good ownership.  Having your own credit card on your credit reports would look better and any decrease in score caused by app'ing and having a new account will have gone away by then and maybe even boosted your score as long as you use it responsibly, keep utilization down below 10-15%, etc.

This card already appears on my credit report. My concern is applying for one that only has my name on it. If it wouldn't affect my score negatively, I'd get one. 

Keep the account balance less than 15%, pay in full every month when the statement closes and you will never have to worry about a minimum payment or accrued interest.

Okay, so for example, I get a new card for $500. If I charge $75, pay the $75 before the due date, there would be no minimum payment or interest? And since you say keep it less than 15%....................................I'll just let you explain that part so my other question won't sound too dumb. 

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 15 of 52
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

For example, X cc has a zero balance, you decide to charge $200 for airline tickets. If you let the $200 report as a balance on your statement AND only pay $100 you will be charged interest.

But the thing is that I'd pay the full $200 and it STILL seems I'm paying some sort of interest. I've paid interest ever since my name was added to the card. This is why I'm not fan of credit cards, but since my credit history is limited, I'm using one to help my score and history. 

Message 16 of 52
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

I'm reading this article that says some card companies require you to pay all charges in full every month, but come with no finance charges or maximum limits. Perhaps this is what I need?

Message 17 of 52
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

" For example, X cc has a zero balance, you decide to charge $200 for airline tickets. If you let the $200 report as a balance on your statement AND only pay $100 you will be charged interest.

But the thing is that I'd pay the full $200 and it STILL seems I'm paying some sort of interest. I've paid interest ever since my name was added to the card. This is why I'm not fan of credit cards, but since my credit history is limited, I'm using one to help my score and history. "

You are likely still paying interest because there are 2 people on the card. The balances are added together and the account holder might not be paying in full.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 18 of 52
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

@Steelersboy wrote:

But the thing is that I'd pay the full $200 and it STILL seems I'm paying some sort of interest. I've paid interest ever since my name was added to the card. This is why I'm not fan of credit cards, but since my credit history is limited, I'm using one to help my score and history. 

But the thing is if you paid the CC balance off, including any new purchases on the bill, and do that for two consecutives statements, then the interest charges will stop.

And stop worrying about a little score drop prior to a mortgage that is a year away.  You need to establish a little independent credit

And you need to learn a lot more about how all of this works.  Some of what you said made my head spin.  no offense.  There are many topics on which I'm quite ignorant too.

I'd suggest a personal finance book / course. 

Are you up on Roth IRAs ?

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 19 of 52
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you are the authorized user on someone else's CC, and that you are making all the payments while they just keep

charging more and although the bill gets paid it justs get added to again and you are paying interest on the unpaid balance,

sounds like someone is taking advantage of you, if they are charging they need to pay their own bill. unless this is something

you agreed to, just saying, reading in between the lines, good luck

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.