Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could use a new card.

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Could use a new card.

@Equinox wrote:

How will it affect me in terms of looking for a new card and my current score?

won't necessarily have a large impact on either.  your cli may offer a smal boost and one of your best bets is probably still a cu.

oh yeah, i somehow forgot to remind you in my previous post to dump credit one like a bad habit.  you won't look back, not with the scores you posted.

Discover has a nice small roster of generally highly touted cards:

not sure how they'll factor in your relatively short history on a more or motiva app.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 11 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

From personal experience, I bet your score might actually rise a bit if you get a Visa, MC or Discover with a line at 1,500 or more.  Did you try the BofA preselector? 

Are your other FICO's in the range of your TU score?   How about inquiries?  I think if you research a bit and match a couple apps to your best scores and INQ situation, you may get a couple of decent lines...  and then in six months will be even more appealing to prime issuers...

There are several players who would normally be perfect but many are acting a bit screwy at the moment... 

At some point you want:

A good CU

Perhaps a Discover

A nice Visa product..  what about US Bank???

A nice store card that will grow with you...  ie. Nordstrom, Macys...

Good luck...  you are in a pretty good situation.

Message Edited by spiritcraft1 on 11-30-2008 09:01 AM

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I have good scores, but I'm young (19 years old) so I also got my first Capital One credit card about a year ago. I personally believe that you getting that second Cap 1 card was a mistake.

But anyways, I applied for the Chase Perfect Card and got approved for a $3,200 credit limit, which is my first and only semi-large limit.

My Cap 1 is 500, and my Paypal account has a credit line of 400. But all I can say is don't go Citi. I recently got denied for "not using my credit cards."  

Message 13 of 18
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Equinox wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried the backdoor number for Capital One and got a pleasant lady who basically said Capital One wasn't giving anyone CLI's due to the state of the economy and the only one she approved today was for 250 dollars. She also said that my account was not eligible for customer requested CLI's. I think I've heard that before and it's pretty absurd.

So, first she tells you that Capital One isn't giving anyone CLIs. Then she tells you that your account is not eligible for a CLI. After that, then she gives you a CLI of $ 250
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 11-30-2008 08:43 AM
Message 14 of 18
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

MojaveMoon wrote:

@Equinox wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried the backdoor number for Capital One and got a pleasant lady who basically said Capital One wasn't giving anyone CLI's due to the state of the economy and the only one she approved today was for 250 dollars. She also said that my account was not eligible for customer requested CLI's. I think I've heard that before and it's pretty absurd.

So, first she tells you that Capital One isn't giving anyone CLIs. Then she tells you that your account is not eligible for a CLI. After that, then she gives you a CLI of $ 250
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 11-30-2008 08:43 AM

I think Equinox is stating that the CSR was able to give one CLI to one person on that day, not to Equinox, but to someone else.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 15 of 18
Equinox
New Contributor

Yes Whirled that was the case.

I just tried the BofA preselector and it picked three cards there, all of which were platinum ones with what it said would be credit lines of 2k. They were the bofa AMEX accelerated rewards card, a Visa Platinum and Cash Rewards Platinum MC.

I not sure which one to go ahead and pick so i didn't do it just yet. The AMEX seems the best choice among them though.

Message 16 of 18
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Besides those BofA cards, there's also a BofA Accelerated Cash Rewards American Express: (link)

If that link doesn't work, then you can find the card using google.

Regarding the non-cash version of that BofA Accel. Rewards Amex, I had read this comment regarding redeeming the points for cash:

Comment by Ashes - Posted on 2008-11-19

Like you I applied last week and got my card and activated it this afternoon. They had given me $13k limit and I carry $0 balance so I didn't do a BT.

While this is an Am Ex brand, watch out for their rewards program! It not not 1% cashback till you get 25,000 points! Yes, 25,000 points! You get 1.25 points per $ but the first 2500 points get you only $12.50. That means $12.50 for the first $2k spent (1.25 point per $) which comes to 0.625%. 10,000 points get you $80 (which translates to 1%) and 25000 points get you $250. So unless you spend $20k on the card 1.25 points per $ don't mean that much. My HSBC Cashback Mastercard is straight 1% starting at 2500 points, no caps no expirations. My Chase Freedom does the same with 3% in some categories. I personally don't like cards where I have to spend so much to get maximum cash back. 25000 points will take me 2 years to get there. The rewards should be simpler and better but that is just my opinion.

I will keep this in my wallet but will use my Chase Freedom and HSBC card and Discover for their 5% cash back categories.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 12-01-2008 04:32 AM
Message 17 of 18
Equinox
New Contributor

Hi Mojave,

I went ahead and applied for the BofA Amex Accelerated Cash Rewards card that you linked. It appears i got approved for the card with the 2k credit line. Pretty sweet!

Thanks guys, the BofA link was a good one.

In regard to the Capital One card consolidation - i went ahead and called them and they basically told me that if i wanted to combine cards I would lose the reward points i have accumulated on my No Hassle Rewards account and combine that card limit with my old one. I've got like 7k points on that card and I'm not about to go ahead and lose that, anyone else have experience with combining two Cap One accounts, one of which was a rewards card?

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.