Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple questions about my Macy's card and PIF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple questions about my Macy's card and PIF

So I opened a Macy's card a few months back ($100) limit, hoping they raise it soon.  Anyways, when I first got the card, I charged 31$ to it online, ordered a jacket on clearance. Paid it off.

They never reported the 31$ to the bureaus (I think I PIFed it too soon, in fear of getting charged interest), so it looks like I havent used the card so its not 1-9%.. not ideal.

So A few days ago I bought 18$ shirt and put it on my macy's card, I want to PIF, but I want it to report that I used the card. When should I PIF so they report the balance and still not get charged interest?

Im not fully understanding how the PIF thing works blah blah.. Sorry for all the questions lol.

anyone?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Couple questions about my Macy's card and PIF

Hi Torry

First, you dont want the entire $18 dollars to report because then you will have 18% utilization, which is not good. Pay it down to $5 dollars before the next statement cut.( I know it is hard to see when the statement cuts for Macys, so you will have to call them to find out)  Now it will  report $5 dollars and you will have 5% util%. ( $5 divide by $100 dollar credit limit = 5%). Now pay the 5 dollars by the due date so you will not be charged any interest. This is how you play the fico game.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice, thank you!!! Gosh this is complicated lol.

just paid 13.82....

Message Edited by torry209 on 01-21-2009 09:54 PM
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You don't have to have a balance report for the card to be regarded as active. There's a data field on your reports for "highest balance", and almost every CC reports your highest balance ever reported at any point during the cycle. (AmEx is the only exception I know --it uses the highest reported balances. Smiley Mad )

So if you look at a full report, you would see that $31 as highest reported balance, even with $0 as the current balance.

I once put $10K plus of new flooring on a card, and then PIF'd before the statement date. The current balance was $0, but the $10K+ reported as well. Dampened my drawers until I realized that it was showing as highest balance, not current balance!

Anyway, even if you don't charge more than $31 in the future, and that remains displaying as your highest balance, the scoring formula "knows" that your card was being used.

You don't want to have all your cards reporting 1-9%, just some of them, as long as you use the others periodically.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good points by Hauling! The trick also is to know when they report balances... When the statement cuts? OR, the end of the month?  Make sure you know that date so you can play the game better.

Does anyone know when Macy's reports?

Message 5 of 8
cobra19
Valued Contributor

For me, Macys reports on the 5th of every month - without fail.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that your statement date cobra, or did Macy's just pick the 5th for the heck of it?
Message 7 of 8
mamalawery
New Contributor

i also started out with $100 limit. i called and asked for an increase. just got $100 more, but that's better than nothing. plus wasn't an inquiry on cbr's.
***I was an app addict, and I'm not ashamed to say it!***
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.